pfSense VM issues

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
P3R
Guru

pfSense VM issues

Post by P3R » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 am

I'm a happy user of pfSense on both dedicated hardware and VMware but finally got around to test pfSense on the Qnap as well.

I downloaded the VM from this page and followed the instructions for importing a VM on this page.

As this pfSense instance is intended to be only a test installation at this point I have the VM configured to have it's WAN interface on my physical LAN and it's LAN on another virtual switch to which I have Linux VM connected for testing.

The problem I noticed before even starting to do any testing was that when the pfSense VM have been running for a while, the Virtualization Station administration no longer opens once it have been closed. It just stay a white window for a long time and eventually (15-30 minutes or something) time out with an error message. As soon as I initate a halt of the pfSense VM, the VS administration windows open normally again

Is anybody else noticing this behaviour or is a pfSense VM working for you?

I'm running this on a TS-1277-1600 with 32 GB RAM (43 % used), QTS 4.3.4.0551 build 2018-04-13 and Virtualization Station version 3.1.51 (2018-03-28).
pfSense_VM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

pkelecy
Starting out

Re: pfSense VM issues

Post by pkelecy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi P3R. I don't have an answer to your question, but I just got a reply from someone on the Netgate forum who is running the pfSense app on their TS-677. You might be able to compare notes. If there is a bug in the app, I would think Negate might want to help. Good luck with it.

https://forum.netgate.com/topic/131972/ ... qnap-nas/3

P3R
Guru

Re: pfSense VM issues

Post by P3R » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:12 am

Thank you for responding!

This was only a first pfSense-in-VS test for me and currently I don't have the time to investigate it further so it's not a problem and this thread was only to possibly catch anyone running into the same issue, in case many did experience the same thing. Apparently other people with TS-X77 don't have the same so maybe it's just me?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”