Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
phrunt
Starting out

Re: Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Post by phrunt »

I'm still testing, since doing the commands in my ssh session I haven't had a reboot, but my NAS only randomly rebooted once a week or so, so it will take some time, I'm going to try flashing back if that command fails, I have a lot of customers with these NAS's so I want to find the best solution before approaching them with a solution. I don't want to use them as test targets.

So far I've just done this from a SSH into the Nas

1. /etc/init.d/smb.sh stop
2. /sbin/setcfg Samba SPLICE 0
3. /etc/init.d/smb.sh start

Not a reboot since but that's not unusual, if in 2 weeks still no reboots I won't need to flash back, if I get a reboot I'll flash back and wait and see.
phrunt
Starting out

Re: Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Post by phrunt »

still no reboots, the commands are looking promising on the latest firmware.
phrunt
Starting out

Post by phrunt »

rebooted today, so the commands didn't work, firmware rollback seems my only option.
domenico971
New here

Post by domenico971 »

two reboots in six hours for me ... one last night and one this morning ...
firmware 4.3.4.0597
QNAP TS-231 - UnOfficial Firmware 4.3.4.0615 build 20180612
phrunt
Starting out

Post by phrunt »

Rolled back to 20171023-4.3.3.0351 from the latest firmware, rollback worked fine, no issues, all is normal...

Now to see if my reboots stop.
katbert
Starting out

Post by katbert »

One of my TS-431 (with custom firmware 4.3.4.0590 from Google Drive) rebooted with uptime 20 days. I collect logs and send to local Qnap support.
hughjorgenn
New here

Post by hughjorgenn »

After weeks of reboots every 3-4 days, I disabled RAID scrub on my TS-431 but still had a random reboot about 10 days later.

I rolled back to QTS 4.3.4.0435 on 2nd June. No reboots for nearly 3 weeks but RAID scrub is disabled.
nightshadowuk
Starting out

Post by nightshadowuk »

Also just rolled back to 4.3.4.0435(20171230) using Qfinder Pro (thanks phrunt).

The last time I was on this firmware I went 48 days without issue before updating to 4.3.4.0483(20180213), it was then the reboots began. Will keep everyone posted.
QNAP TS-431 [RAID5 - 2 x ST4000VN000 & 2 x ST4000VN008]
phrunt
Starting out

Post by phrunt »

I've had no reboots on any of the TS-431's since rolling back, all seems good now for me.
raoulangel
New here

Post by raoulangel »

Heya all, new user here.. I have a TS-431, using the latest firmware now, with the file structure update as well..

I Read all the messages in the thread and had a few questions if you don't mind! I am having the same reboot issue, I get two email messages every day that the system was not shut down properly, and that the volume needs checking.. here's where I am..

Opened ticket, no help, the chat doesn't work, and it's been 4 months now.. so I wanted to try a few of your ideas here.. I just have 2 questions:

1. Exactly HOW does one turn off the automatic monthly scrubbing, can't find it in the manual, and been everywhere in the interface? Could I have a step-by-step?
2. The commands you are using in the terminal login, before I use them I'd love to know EXACTLY what they are doing? Anyone have an idea?

Thanks so much, all help is appreciated!!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
raoulangel wrote:1. Exactly HOW does one turn off the automatic monthly scrubbing, can't find it in the manual, and been everywhere in the interface? Could I have a step-by-step?
Turning this off would be a bad idea:
Please note: this reboot has been reported to occur even on models without RAID, so the scrubbing operation is not the only cause.
raoulangel wrote:2. The commands you are using in the terminal login, before I use them I'd love to know EXACTLY what they are doing? Anyone have an idea?
If you're referring to these:
phrunt wrote:1. /etc/init.d/smb.sh stop
2. /sbin/setcfg Samba SPLICE 0
3. /etc/init.d/smb.sh start
... it seems they didn't stop the issue occurring:
phrunt wrote:rebooted today, so the commands didn't work, firmware rollback seems my only option.
... so no-need to use them. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
raoulangel
New here

Post by raoulangel »

So, then there is no solution for this, after 5 months of daily hard reboots? Should I just forget about it and leave it alone? Will my files be OK? If not I have to be realistic and consider a change of hardware.. I cannot roll back the firmware since I upgraded the filesystem after the May firmware update.. or can I?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

raoulangel wrote:So, then there is no solution for this, after 5 months of daily hard reboots? Should I just forget about it and leave it alone? Will my files be OK?
Suggest you create a new support ticket with QNAP and ask them these questions.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
raoulangel
New here

Post by raoulangel »

Hello, I'm sure that I mentioned I did open a ticket already, in fact two of them. They don't seem to know what to do and their online chat doesn't work either. I came here because it seemed like you guys knew more then they do...
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

raoulangel wrote:Hello, I'm sure that I mentioned I did open a ticket already,
You did, which is why I suggested creating a new ticket.
raoulangel wrote:They don't seem to know what to do and their online chat doesn't work either. I came here because it seemed like you guys knew more then they do...
So far, there is no confirmed solution, except for reverting to an earlier firmware and hoping QNAP fix the current one.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”