NAS registration DNS failed - daily warning

Questions about using Windows AD service.
1shot2killz
New here

NAS registration DNS failed - daily warning

Post by 1shot2killz »

Hey,
Every 24 hours (the time of first joining the domain) I get the following message:
Warning 2018/07/06 06:14:25 System 127.0.0.1 localhost [Microsoft Networking] The NAS registration in DNS failed.

QNAP is connected to AD. The domain manager of Windows Server 2016. I do not see any problems in operation - permissions, users, access, etc.
Primary DNS on the QNAP network adapter set to the IP address of the domain controller. The second DNS left empty. QNAP also manually added to the domain controller.
Especially, it does not bother me, but every 24 hours I get annoyed with the error message.

Firmware version: 4.3.4.0537 Build 20180331
Server model: QNAP TS-831XU-RP
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: NAS registration DNS failed - daily warning

Post by Toxic17 »

what is your DNS settings on the NAS's Network interfaces? do you have a DNS entry on the DNS server for your NAS?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Not sure there is a control to disable the attempted dynamic DNS update on the NAS/SAMBA side (at least without rebuilding your own SAMBA binaries, as it's a linked-in feature).

You might have to allow dynamic updates on your AD DNS server on the scope where the NAS is connected to, as it is [or was, I'm becoming old...] for workstations and member servers usually.
1shot2killz
New here

Post by 1shot2killz »

NAS added to the DNS zone correctly. It is exactly that if the lease expires every 24 hours.
Why does not a NAS from Qnap have such problems?
Often I also have such information - watch (czuwanie)

https://imgur.com/Zf4vJqA
RickCann
New here

Post by RickCann »

My 470 pro started doing the same thing about 3 or so months ago - nothing changed, everything on the NAS the same. I've looked my AD server, and all seems normal. Strange
RickCann
New here

Post by RickCann »

I have the same thing - TS-470 Pro - never got it before the first of the year - it's a nagging irritation - my networking is fine (Retired 28 year IT Architect) - I've even pulled it off AD and re-added it - same nagging results
nickd
Starting out

Post by nickd »

I agree that its an issue that should be fixed. However, you can disable the NAS' DNS registration by doing the following.
  • Go to Control Panel > Network & File Services > Win/Mac/NFS
  • On the Microsoft Networking page (first page), choose Advanced Options
  • Uncheck the option called Automatically register in DNS
I had turned this one one day without thinking about it. It nagged me every day until I remembered how to turn it off again.
TVS-663
1shot2killz
New here

Post by 1shot2killz »

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
All the time randomly disconnects QNAP from a domain controller.
Official support cannot solve the problem.
mmilis
First post

Post by mmilis »

I am uncomfortably disappointed with the support from QNAP. Either it's hard to come up with the right person to help or they don't have people who have the knowledge.
After several hours of remote sessions on their part, I didn't get a specific answer or solution. Something strange is happening with the communication between DC and QNAP, ad join.
To be honest, my initial problem is the loss of the smb connection but now after the reset of QNAP this problem occurs with DNS registration.
1shot2killz
New here

Post by 1shot2killz »

The problem still exists. Support sees no problem. I get calls from the company at night that employees cannot log in to network locations.
What's more ridiculous, the TS-831XU-RP disconnects randomly, and the TS-231 does not have this problem and is still connected to the domain.
Thank you, QNAP. I will not buy your product for the second time.
1shot2killz
New here

Post by 1shot2killz »

Please, help me. Every day I have to join the AD domain using the Assistant. Then everything returns to normal. This is terribly annoying.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

open a ticket with qnap so it can be investigated and fixed

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”