Serial number requested once again

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
EricBuist
Starting out

Serial number requested once again

Post by EricBuist »

Hi,
I just got a NAS and cannot do much with it. There are just too many things to setup just to get basic drive sharing, and then comes qnapCloud, which just fails, asking for a QNAP ID I don't know how to create. Searching for QNAP ID, I got clues about qnapCloud, tried to create an account, and am asked ONCE AGAIN to supply a serial number. I really cannot get the serial number, it is too hard for me to locate, I am visually impaired and I just cannot find it on the device. If I search long enough, I may be able to find something, but it will be too small to read, from my past experiences. It is really bad that now, each product requires a registration step consisting of transcribing a serial number, especially when the product has a web interface that can transmit that number automatically if need be.

From all this, I now know that what I need is pretty much a simple Linux box with SSH/SFTP access. I thought a NAS would help me for the configuration of the RAID, which Ubuntu does not expose well (had to deal with complex commands instead of a GUI), but it just adds too much stuff I don't understand and don't really need. But it's too late, I'm stuck with the unit. Yes, I can pull the drives out and put them in my HTPC, but I would have wasted hundreds of dollars if I do this.

Is it possible to replace this bulky firmware with a simple Linux system? Fortunately, I picked an Intel NAS, so maybe a Ubuntu would work there, but not sure, I'll have to investigate.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Serial number requested once again

Post by dolbyman »

serial should be on the box and on the device case (a camera phone would be able to nice "blow" up the image size)

also via ssh (the "nasreport" has the serial in it... I think)

regarding custom linux on the nas...there is a whole section in the forum about it ...it's not that easy though
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I'm pretty sure the serial number should be available for cut and paste in the administration GUI.
Look for it in "Control Panel" > "System Settings" > "System Status" > "System Information".
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

P3R wrote:I'm pretty sure the serial number should be available for cut and paste in the administration GUI.
Look for it in "Control Panel" > "System Settings" > "System Status" > "System Information".
And in Qfinder, Details.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Dear Eric,

To sign-up for a QNAP ID (QID, QNAP Account) there is no serial number requested. https://myqnapcloud.com/ -> Sign-up (or if called direct https://account.qnap.com/signup ) does require a Nickname, Email Address or Mobile Phone number, and a Password. Alternate, an existing Google of Facebook ID can be used.

To register the NAS with myQNAPcloud, use the App with the very same name, requiring QNAP ID data and a unique name for your NAS. Any additional data like Serial Number, MAC Addresses, ... is provided direct from the NAS - there is no need ever to key in the serial number.

Even for the support - the Helpdesk App on the NAS QTS Desktop (Web UI) can bring the required information direct to the QNAP Helpdesk system. The only reason to keep a note with the serial number would be if you need to contact the QNAP customer service without NAS Access or your distributor/re-seller in case of a warranty exchange.

Of course, QTS is a giant ship, allowing to configure even complex things - thus it requires some time to read and understand the Web UI and work into it. Once you get the bigger picture, things are highly simplified to work with QTS instead of any native Linux distro.

Regards,
-Kurt

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”