Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
timwillin
Starting out

Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Post by timwillin »

I replaced 2 - 2TB disks with 2 -4TB disks in my TS-251+. The NAS sees the larger disks, but I do not have an option to expand the existing pool to use them. All I can do is add another pool, which I really don't need. I realize I can delete the existing volume and create a new one, but was hoping to avoid that effort. I have taken backups of the volume, so I can restore the data. Can anyone help me with this?
Don
Guru

Re: Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Post by Don »

Did you follow the procedure for expanding that is documented in the manual or did you make up your own procedure?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
timwillin
Starting out

Post by timwillin »

I followed the procedure and replaced them one at a time allowing for a rebuild after each replacement. I forgot to mention it is a thin volume.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

So what does Storage Manager say? 2 x 4TB?
After the RAID is expanded you need to expand the volume.
timwillin
Starting out

Post by timwillin »

The problem is I don't have an option to expand the RAID or pool size.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

timwillin wrote:The problem is I don't have an option to expand the RAID or pool size.
You didn't answer my question.
Post a screenshot of storage manager.
You go to Manage, Expand Volume, right?
timwillin
Starting out

Post by timwillin »

That was in my original post. Yes it sees the larger drive capacity.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

That the Qnap recognizes the disk as 4 TB model doesn't necessarily mean that it uses the complete capacity.

If you have carefully followed the correct documentation under the heading Expanding RAID Group Capacity, your RAID group should already be expanded. Many misses the RAID group expansion step, so storageman is trying to understand your situation to know how to guide you further.

Please answer the questions and provide the information asked for if you want user community assistance.

If you don't like the way in which the community is trying to assist you, you can always contact Qnap support instead.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

You followed this?

With this function, RAID group capacity can be expanded by replacing hard disk drives in an array one by one. This option is supported for the following RAID types: RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6 and RAID 10. Follow these steps to expand a RAID group:

1. Go to "Storage Manager" > "STORAGE" > "Storage Space".
2. Double click a storage pool to be expanded to bring up the Storage Pool Management page.
3. Select a RAID group and click "Manage" > "Replace Disks One by One".
4. Select at least one hard disk drive and click "Change". After the description displays "Please remove this drive", remove the hard disk drive from the NAS or expansion enclosure.
5. After the description displays "You can replace this drive", plug in the new hard disk drive to the drive slot.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all hard drives have been replaced.
7. Click "Expand Capacity" to continue. Click "Yes".
8. The chosen RAID group is expanded.

Right click on the Storage Pool tab and select Manage, then post the screenshot.
timwillin
Starting out

Post by timwillin »

Turns out I skipped the step to "Expand Capacity" after replacing the drives. Many thanks for your help!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Forgive you this time for owning up. Next time you go on the naughty step.
timwillin
Starting out

Post by timwillin »

There really should be a wizard that walks you through this step by step for dummies like me!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

timwillin wrote:There really should be a wizard that walks you through this step by step for dummies like me!
There is. It is called the manual.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
U1Wouter
New here

Post by U1Wouter »

So what if someone did not read the manual/instructinos for expanding the raid capacity and just replaced the disks one by one for larger disks?
Is there any way to expand the Raid Volume once the disks are already installed in the NAS?
If i select expand capacity at the moment we get the following error: [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 2 1] Raid Size Expansion failed.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

U1Wouter wrote:So what if someone did not read the manual/instructinos for expanding the raid capacity and just replaced the disks one by one for larger disks?
Is there any way to expand the Raid Volume once the disks are already installed in the NAS?
If i select expand capacity at the moment we get the following error: [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 2 1] Raid Size Expansion failed.
I suggest you try going through the process again, the correct way.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”