New Qnap setup sugestion

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
P2WRTMR
Starting out

New Qnap setup sugestion

Post by P2WRTMR »

I tried looking on how you guys are configuring your QNAP units. I picked up a TVS-882BR. I didnt think i would want the 4 additional SSD drives, but turned out i did. I ended up adding a SATA card and 4 SSD 1TB 860 samsung sata drives. I also have 8 8TB drives in the unit. I am so lost when it comes to how i should configure this unit. I figured raid 6 so i have the 2 drive safety. I get lost when it comes to thin, thick or static. Should the 1TB SSD drives be cache? My needs are simple, backup and store my data, a VM windows 10 ( maybe a few days a month ) here or there for testing stupid things and maybe a plex server. Its just a home NAS, so no hard hits to it.

I also have a QM2 card i plan to put 2 512gb nvme drives and have 2 512gb m.2 drives ( need to install )

How would you guys configure this setup?
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: New Qnap setup sugestion

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

It is hard to say what the best configuration is. You could consider using the 4 SSDs as a storage pool where you store your VM and then use the QM2 for caching random I/O for your HDD storage pool. You generally need more cache for caching sequential so I think your 512GB M.2 would be better for random IO because of their size.

What QM2 do you have?
P2WRTMR
Starting out

Re: New Qnap setup sugestion

Post by P2WRTMR »

I ordered a QM2-2P10G1T.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”