TVS-871T update with a QM2-2

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
perquin
Starting out

TVS-871T update with a QM2-2

Post by perquin »

Hi,

I have a TVS-871T where i want to put a QM2-2 to add NVE cache.
I know that the two pci slot are taken by the thunderbolt card and the 10 Gbe card.

I can sacrify one of this (the thunderbolt one if possible).

What QM2-2 are qualified for this model? and in what pci slot?

European support say to me that it's not possible with a TVS-871T but if i look at the online doc some card seem ok for the TVS-871T

thank's for the help

regards,
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: TVS-871T update with a QM2-2

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

The QM2 I see on the compatibility list for the TVS-871T are the low end QM2 cards. You can see them here.

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... ategory=11

Are you sure you want to sacrifice thunderbolt for a low-end QM2 Card?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Many users have been disappointed about the lack of positive effects from SSD caching. Mainly because typical home usage doesn't benefit much from caching. What kind of usage is it that you expect will improve by caching?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
perquin
Starting out

Post by perquin »

if possible i use QM2-2P10G1T in place of the 10G card and in this case i always have the thunderbolt card.

the QM2-2P10G1T need a PCIe Gen2 x 4.

in the tvs-871t seem to have 1* PCIe Gen3 x8, 1* PCIe Gen2 x4 but i don't find what card is in each slot ?

regards,
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

If you use the gen2x4 bandwidth for 2 m.2 and 10GbE, you will be asking a lot from a gen2x4 PCIe slot. On lower end units with just one PCIe slot, you may not have a choice. the QM2-2P10G1T is good for lower-end units with just 1 PCIe slot. But I would not usually recommend it for this NAS. But if you only want to accelerate random I/O, it might still help. But I would not try to accelerate sequential, when you are sharing a gen2X4 with m.2 and 10GbE.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The upper one (black connector) is the PCIe gen 3 x8 while the lower (white connector) is the PCIe Gen 2 x4 in the TVS-x71(T) models. For the best performance, there is no way but using a dual or quad QM2 NVMe SSD model - to be installed in the PCIe gen 3 x8 slot. If you really don't need the TB interface, the 10 GbE can be relocated to the second slot.
perquin
Starting out

Post by perquin »

Hi Daniel and Schumaku

Thx a lot for your help.

Return to “Presales”