My QNAP Lun is suddenly empty!

iSCSI related applications
level42
Getting the hang of things

My QNAP Lun is suddenly empty!

Post by level42 »

So, I have 2 QNAPs, and in order for them to talk to each other, I set one as an ISCSI Target, and one as the Initiator.

Everything was working perfectly fine for a few months now, when suddenly I connected to the LUN only to find out that it's COMPLETELY EMPTY!!!!

It still shows that there is only 5 out of 8 TB free space, but I cannot find any of my files.

I've tried rebooting both qnaps, restarting the ISCSI services on both, nothing seems to be working.

I can still connect to the target, and received no errors or warnings in that time, but now, it's just EMPTY. How can I get my files back?
NAS: TS-870-Pro | F/W: 4.3.4.0435
NAS: TS-859-Pro+ | F/W: 4.2.6
dolbyman
Guru

Re: My QNAP Lun is suddenly empty!

Post by dolbyman »

anything happened ?

firmware update
power loss
connection loss

ISCSI luns are a little fragile

on another note...why do you need ISCSI for the NAS to exchange information? SMB would be much more transparent
level42

Post by level42 »

I couldn't figure out how to map one qnap to another through ISCSI, I need access to the files on QNAP A from QNAP B and vise vers

The only thing that happened was a loss of Internet access from my ISP due to a node failure.

At the same time, the firmware on my router went corrupt and I had to rebuild it, losing any and all configuration changes I had made.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you try to attach to the lun via any other device ?
windows,mac,linux ?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Mystified why you would use ISCSI in this scenario.
What was wrong with shares?
level42

Post by level42 »

I mounted the LUN on Windows, and it warned me that the drive needed to be formatted before it could be used ...

As to why I used a LUN, I wrote a topic a while back asking for advice on this matter, but users were more interested in pointing out technicalities in my thread, then helping me at all.

viewtopic.php?f=185&t=140940&p=668951#p668951

If there is a better method, I'd love to hear it.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that thread was not very detailed and discussion suddenly stopped

what files system was the LUN formatted at ? if ext4, windows would not be able to read it (natively)

so use a windows addon tool
https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways ... m-windows/

or Mac or Linux to access to LUN (e.g. https://github.com/gerard/ext4fuse)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Data is most easily stored and accessed in shared folders.

Data is most easily transferred between NASes with a backup program, like the now current Hybrid Backup Sync.

Unless you know for sure that a LUN is the only way to achieve what you want to do, then a LUN is most likely isn't what you want to use.
Last edited by P3R on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

level42 wrote:As to why I used a LUN, I wrote a topic a while back asking for advice on this matter, but users were more interested in pointing out technicalities in my thread, then helping me at all.

viewtopic.php?f=185&t=140940&p=668951#p668951
The topic linked-to does not mention iSCSI at all. If you wanted assistance, why did you abandon that thread?

And if a user corrects your misunderstanding regarding CPU architecture, thank them. :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
level42

Post by level42 »

ISCSI wasn't mentioned, because that was the solution that I came up with on my own after the lack of assistance on that thread. and it's beginning to appear to happen to this thread again. Instead of assistance, I'm getting berated about things that are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. Can we please just stay on topic here?

From my understanding the ISCSI LUN was created as an EXT3 partition. @dolbyman I appreciate the suggestion and will test out that link shortly and report back.

Return to “iSCSI – Target & Virtual Disk”