Howto prioritize traffic through QuickAccess port over Network?

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
lwesker
New here

Howto prioritize traffic through QuickAccess port over Network?

Post by lwesker »

I have both NAS and PC connected to network to do their usual things.

I also connected the QuickAccess port (on TVS-873) to the PC.

When I copy from PC to NAS, I see in the Resource Monitor that the traffic is between the two devices over the network ports, not the QuickAccess port.

If I disconnect the PC from the network, I can reach the NAS directly so I know the QuickAccess ports and drivers are set up correctly.

So the question is how can I configure the PC so any traffic it needs to send to the NAS is through the QuickAccess port automatically without disconnecting its network port?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Howto prioritize traffic through QuickAccess port over Network?

Post by dolbyman »

quick access is just another network connection .. so no real advantage if you have it connected by network already
lwesker
New here

Post by lwesker »

Yes there is. Speed! Throughput is more than twice as fast to copy through QuickAccess. I also see during copies, there is much less latency. When transferring over network with very large collections, the latency (shown in Resource Monitor) reached multiple seconds, while it always stayed under a second with QuickAccess.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

unless your regular network connection is wireless,quick accesss should be slower (simulated 1GbE)
lwesker
New here

Post by lwesker »

This is diluting the purpose of the original question. If you want to learn why Quick Access is faster, please refer to QNAP documentation. They put it there for a reason. It may be simulated Ethernet but is not intentionally throttled to 1 GbE. USB 3 ports are up to 5Gbps. My network is through a quality switch side-by-side between the PC and NAS. I know what it is capable of.

The simple FACT is QuickAccess overall long term average throughput was more than double that via the 1 GbE networking. Traffic is very similar to my older DAS connections, limited only by disk speeds. This thread was searching for how to direct traffic, not to debate why I want to direct the traffic. That decision was already made.

FYI for others. Found out the question may be moot. After fixing a setup problem it seems to work now.

When first connecting Direct Access to a Windows 10 machine, it defaults to Unknown Public Network without giving user any option to choose. You must force change it to Private Network to become effective. QNAP issue, IDK?

If Public, network file services are by default blocked. I had changed it to Private and got Quick Access to work, but then next day moved the USB connection to a different port. It appears Windows in it wisdom changed the network type back to Public, which I did not notice before asking this forum question.

I just now verified (after the Quick Access network forced back to Private), and with the normal EtherNet simultaneously connected, I can connect to the NAS GUI through both IP addresses. And a test copy of data from the PC to the QNAP was indeed using the QuickAccess port as desired.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

[youtube=]g3s5d2KU4lc[/youtube]according to qnap's own info material, quick access is 1GbE (~100MB/s) so not sure how you got 5x the speed

Return to “Miscellaneous”