QNAP DLNA Server and Samsung TV client

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
blimbug
New here

Re: QNAP DLNA Server and Samsung TV client

Post by blimbug »

TS 212 and recently upgraded to 4.1.2

Same issue here - DLNA playback now broken (takes ages to list and browse content, and playback is awful).

Interestingly Twonky seems to work ok (though it doesn't list all my files - missing directories).

Definitely a bug since it was working previously (been running 4.1.0 for a long time, needed to upgrade to get the VPN server functionality).

What they give'eth in one hand, they take'eth away with the other...
lukacsmw
Starting out

Post by lukacsmw »

The DLNA on my TS-269L has been labeled "Beta" for as long as I've owned the NAS (>1.5 years). I know that the QNAP crew is doing a lot of software stuff, but over a year in Beta is a long time. especially since it's performance seems inferior to the twonky service (My QNAP DLNA has heavy pixelation and other issues as well). I just use twonky, but my new Sony TV doesn't work as well with it as my Samsung did. It only sees about 50% of my videos and I'm slowly transcoding the others into a format it can play, as I identify them.
dsimeone
New here

Post by dsimeone »

Hi there,

same problem here. QNAP HS-210 Firmware 4.2.0 with Samsung TV 4K UA50HU7000. Mp4 videos keeping freezing for loading every 10/15 seconds and normal jpg pictures show "the selected file is not currently supported" on the TV.
I am using QNAP DLNA. I will try to switch to Twonky and let you know.
SaliesBuzz
Starting out

Post by SaliesBuzz »

Please see my post here:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=119144
This describes almost the opposite problem with a Samsung TV, in that the embedded QNAP DLNA server works but TwonkyMedia 8.2 causes problems with a Samsung TV.
If you are going to try Twonky and you have a Samsung TV, then I suggest you stick to TwonkyMedia 8.1.1, as this seems to work OK with a Samsung TV
QNAP TS-219p 2 x Samsung HD103UJ 1Tb FW:QTS 4.2.4 build 20170313
QNAP TS-121 WD-Red WD20EFRX 2Tb FW: QTS 4.2.4 build 20170313
GBurla
New here

Post by GBurla »

Hello to everyone.

Recently I've bought a QNAP 543mini to dismiss my old NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V2. I've noticed that both QNAP native DLNA and Twonky DLNA can't stream any mkv files to my Samsung Smart TV (the message on TV is "video format not supported"). My old Netgear works perfectly with the same files! I've tried with another DLNA client (an Xbox) and this time I had no problems. I'm not a DLNA service expert but it seems that QNAP DLNA works in a non-standard way that is incompatible with Samsung Smart TV and Twonky DLNA suffers the same behavior.

I've solved installing PLEX Server on my QNAP and PLEX client for Smart TV and it woks incredibly well without any trans-coding (=no CPU usage).

Giovanni
jubbleys
Starting out

Post by jubbleys »

hi new user to qnap i have a js8500 and found if i go to dlna setting and list the devices the qnap is sharing with i can change the.setting from auto to original and so far all my videos are playing. even the ones it used to say format unsupported.
PhYziCiAN
First post

Post by PhYziCiAN »

Same problem: MKV do not play on Samsung E-series Smart TV from built-in Media server (4.2.1 firmware).

English and Russian support answered that there's Dolby AC3 license issue, therefore no additional AC3 support in basic DLNA server used in QNAP.
So all my mkv files with ac3 codec went off board. Seek for alternative DLNA server.
Ramrunner
New here

Post by Ramrunner »

Guys, just had this EXACT same issue this morning.

I fixed it by:

QNAP dashboard
Control Panel
Applications
DLNA Media Server
Advanced Settings
Browsing Settings
Change "Display Photo" from "Large Thumbnail" to "Original".

Click Apply All

Samsung TV finally came to life. Hope it fixes it for you.

For myself - what a STUPID DEFAULT (on the TVs it did work we were only getting 640x480 images). Somehow this was sending only a THUMBNAIL to the TV instead of the whole photo. The Samsung obviously did not like it. The LG and XBOX displayed it but the resolution was crap of course.

WHO SET THIS AS THE DEFAULT AND THEN HIDES IT SO FAR DOWN IN SETTINGS????
Mikelt
New here

Post by Mikelt »

Thanks Ramrunner. I've recently bought a QNAP T251D and had this problem aka "the selected file is not currently supported". You're suggested config. change for the DLNA has sorted it out. I'm VERY grateful you posted that!

Return to “Media Streaming”