Secure erase in QTS 4.3.4 missing

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Secure erase in QTS 4.3.4 missing

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

depends what firmware version you are running. secure erase was added in a newer firmware forgot which version exactly
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Have you tried searching the forum? The answer is contained within this thread:
Secure erase of hard drives

TLDR: The drive must not belong to a storage pool.

Funnily enough, both TECH1982 and Moogle Stiltzkin participated in the aforementioned thread. And Moogle provides an excerpt from some unidentified QNAP documentation. I wonder where he found it, because as far as I can tell, there is no complete documentation on Storage & Snapshots Manager, and 'Secure Erase' is nowhere to be found on the QNAP web site, except on the QTS 4.3.4 marketing page.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Mousetick wrote:Have you tried searching the forum? The answer is contained within this thread:
Secure erase of hard drives

TLDR: The drive must not belong to a storage pool.

Funnily enough, both TECH1982 and Moogle Stiltzkin participated in the aforementioned thread. And Moogle provides an excerpt from some unidentified QNAP documentation. I wonder where he found it, because as far as I can tell, there is no complete documentation on Storage & Snapshots Manager, and 'Secure Erase' is nowhere to be found on the QNAP web site, except on the QTS 4.3.4 marketing page.
either it was from a newsletter i got in my mail, or i saw a web newsletter somewhere on the web. either way i recall i copy pasted this from somewhere, i did not just type that out :) usually i would include the sauce link... but since i didn't then it probably was from a marketing newsletter i read from my mail.

i also recall they mentioned this in a youtube at some point.

*update

nm i found where i got it from. Go to QTS, storage manager. Click the "?" then scroll down, and there should be mention of secure erase there. I copied pasted from there 8)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

The option is only available when disks are not raided or in a Volume.

Select a single disk, then goto Action, and erase disk option is there. When Disks are raided, the Action heading of "Secure Erase" is hidden.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
DIY_glenn
Getting the hang of things

Post by DIY_glenn »

I have the same problem.
I have a functional RAID + a single drive I'd like to erase. The secure erase option is not listed.

The drive is not part of a RAID or includes a Volume, so I tried creating a static volume, but no difference.

The drive has a S.M.A.R.T error, and I'm going to send it to Seagate, but I'd like to erase it first.

Update:
Inserted another drive which is "OK" and listed as free. It can be secure erased.

Probably a limitation, "Good" drives only.
DIY_glenn

Post by DIY_glenn »

Found a workaround for my problem.

I could only choose "Secure Erase" from a healthy drive, but when started I could choose which drives to erase, and I could pick the drive with the error :lol:
qn01.png
I opted to secure erase both anyways, they were part of an earlier RAID1.
qn02.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Another option would be to SSH into the NAS and then use the shred utility.

Or just set up your array with encryption to begin with and then who cares if you return a drive with data on it.
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

How do I remove 1 HDD from a RAID6 from the QTS UI? I need to exchange it with the seller. I understand that this will degrade my RAID, but I have the replacement HDD handy.

I was advised to hot-pull it.

I would rather remove it within QTS if it allows me to secure-erase it in QTS. Otherwise I'll have to attach the pulled drive to a PC and erase it there. I bit of a hassle.
NAS: TS-453Be
RAM:Crucial 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT2KIT51264BF160B
QTS: 5.1.4
HDD's: RAID 6: Four 8TB WD Red (WD80EFAX)
USB HDD: One 12 TB WD Elements (WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN)
Switch: Netgear GS108
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

alokeprasad wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:13 pm How do I remove 1 HDD from a RAID6 from the QTS UI? I need to exchange it with the seller. I understand that this will degrade my RAID, but I have the replacement HDD handy.

I was advised to hot-pull it.

I would rather remove it within QTS if it allows me to secure-erase it in QTS. Otherwise I'll have to attach the pulled drive to a PC and erase it there. I bit of a hassle.
there's no way to take it out of the array in QTS. I suppose you could use mdadm to remove the drive from the array and then shred it but that seems like a big hassle too. I'd just hot swap it then put it in a USB dock to shred if you still want to do that.

Since multiple people are asking about shredding prior to drive returns just another plug for encrypting your data. At that point there's no need to shred anything (which depending on how the drive failed you may not be able to do after the failure anyway) as the third party won't be able to access any of your data in clear form.

I'll also add that with one disk out of an array someone would have to be quite dedicated to view any meaningful amount of your data. In an an eight disk RAID6 array they'll only have 1/6 of your data. Small files may be fully intact but most will only be a portion of a file and depending on the content may be completely unusable in that state.
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

TECH1982 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am
Toxic17 wrote:The option is only available when disks are not raided or in a Volume.

Select a single disk, then go to Action, and erase disk option is there. When Disks are raided, the Action heading of "Secure Erase" is hidden.

Actually, your dead right on this one :)

I had to first 1. remove these disks from RAID so they appear *grey* (under Storage&Snapshots/Disks) 2. then "secure erase" appeared under Actions menu. At the end of the day, disks are still disks, regardless of RAID or not, so i'm note sure why they would hide the option in a RAID array fashion, but allow you to do this only in single disk.
I'm going by those lines in the above post.
It sounds like Tech1982 did that in QTS GUI. Maybe that's an incorrect interp.
DIY_glenn

Post by DIY_glenn »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 pm Another option would be to SSH into the NAS and then use the shred utility.

Or just set up your array with encryption to begin with and then who cares if you return a drive with data on it.
I believe that is only an option with the built-in "admin" account. I've disabled that account.
alokeprasad
Easy as a breeze

Post by alokeprasad »

Guys,

"1. remove these disks from RAID so they appear *grey* (under Storage&Snapshots/Disks) 2. then "secure erase" appeared under Actions menu."

How did you remove a HDD from a RAID group and still have it installed inside the NAS?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”