Versioned backup of my Dropbox, Box, gDrive?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
snort80
New here

Versioned backup of my Dropbox, Box, gDrive?

Post by snort80 »

Hi,

I am a new user of QNAP appliance.
Can someone please recommend the best way to create QNAP local versioned rotating backups (ie daily, weekly, monthly) of my cloud drives (ie dropbox, box, google drive etc).
My users are leveraging cloud for day-to-day, but I want to be able to create local archive if I needed to go back n days.

Thank you!
-Gary
---
Qnap TS-253Be-4G-US
P3R
Guru

Re: Versioned backup of my Dropbox, Box, gDrive?

Post by P3R »

I very much doubt that it's offered. Many users store locally and backup to the cloud but I have never heard anyone else asking to do it the other way, store in the cloud and backup locally.

Since reliability is usually many times better on the cloud services than it is on a single NAS, it make more sense to have the backup there and access the NAS locally for performance reasons.

The obvious workaround to achieve what you want would be to restore from the cloud services to an original copy on the NAS and then do a local versioned backup of that original to somewhere else on the NAS.

The Hybrid Backup Sync app is the currently preferred application to use for versioned backups, if it's offered for your unknown Qnap model.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
snort80
New here

Post by snort80 »

Thank you for quick response.
My QNAP appliance is TS-253Be-4G-US.

If I understood you correctly, I would break down my task in two steps:
1. Cloud > NAS sync via 'Cloud Drive Sync'
2. Run scheduled 'Hybrid Backup Sync' to create versioned archive tree of the local folder created in (1) above.

The purpose of the workflow is to create local versions/backups of documents of everything that is stored on cloud storage. Additionally, I want to use local repository for tape backup

Thank you again,
---
Qnap TS-253Be-4G-US
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

snort80 wrote:My QNAP appliance is TS-253Be-4G-US.
Okay, then I know that your NAS is modern enough to support Hybrid Backup Sync, which I wasn't sure of and had to assume in my first response. In the future when asking questions please always state at least what Qnap model it is and what QTS firmware version and build is in use and any other technical details that you can imagine will be related to your question. This will save time for both you and the people responding and it will generally also improve the quality of the answers.
If I understood you correctly, I would break down my task in two steps:
Yes, that't what I imagined should work.
1. Cloud > NAS sync via 'Cloud Drive Sync'
I've never used any cloud services with the Qnap so I wouldn't know. I think that here used to be a single cloud backup app for each cloud service but that they're now integrated into Hybrid Backup Sync so that's where I'd first start looking for a restore feature but I can't assist with how this step is done.
2. Run scheduled 'Hybrid Backup Sync' to create versioned archive tree of the local folder created in (1) above.
Yes but if it can be scheduled (at least down to a daily schedule as in your request) depend on if step 1 can be scheduled and run with consistent duration times (which probably can be hard to predict with a cloud service, at least if it's a significant data volume). I would start manually and then automate it from there if possible. You will have to work out the details yourself and YMMV.
The purpose of the workflow is to create local versions/backups of documents of everything that is stored on cloud storage.
I do understand the purpose. My comment that most people do it the other way around was more to explain why I think that the requested functionality is unlikely to ever to be available as a single step feature. But as I'm not even a cloud service user, it may already be available, only that I'm not aware of it... :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Backup & Restore”