RTRR from 2 QNAP's on same router

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

RTRR from 2 QNAP's on same router

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
I think I answered my own question, but I thought I would ask for confirmation.
I have two QNAP's on the same network. I have a UPnP router (Synology RT2600ac). If I have both QNAP's on, and RTRR in Hybrid Backup Sync is set for Port 8899 (the default) -
It seems that when I go into "Apply to Router" in MyQnapCloud to tell the router to port forward 8899 to the QNAP's - it will either do one or the other, but not both.
Even if I manually do this on the router (type in the IP address to assign to) - when I do a test, it will fail on one of the 2 QNAPs. If I simply turn off UPnP on the router, so all the port
forwarding from the QNAP #1 disappears, and now I switch to QNAP # 2 and "Apply to Router" - the second QNAP now works correctly, and I can see the QNAP # 2 IP address and forwarding of 8899
in the Port Forwarding menu.

SO - same question - can you only assign ONE QNAP to the router at port 8899 for RTRR ? And if I wanted to have two QNAPs on the second network, should I just make QNAP # 2 at a different port (like 8898) ?

Thanks -
I know this seems self explanatory, but I just wanted to check with someone with more experience than I have. Both QNAP's are running latest QTS 4.3.4 OS (the July firmware).

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: RTRR from 2 QNAP's on same router

Post by Mousetick »

Bob Zelin wrote:can you only assign ONE QNAP to the router at port 8899 for RTRR ?
Yes. Only one destination host on the network per TCP port.
Bob Zelin wrote:And if I wanted to have two QNAPs on the second network, should I just make QNAP # 2 at a different port (like 8898) ?
Yes.

Note: This is not specific to QNAP nor RTRR. It's just how port-forwarding works on NAT routers. Since all the devices behind the NAT router share the same public IP address, the router relies on the port number to direct incoming traffic to specific devices on the local network. So it's the same principle if you were to host 2 web servers on 2 separate machines for example, behind the same NAT router. You'd have to use different ports for each web server (e.g. 80 and 81).
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You can only forward a port on a router to a single IP/port. As you guessed you need to use different ports. I would also not use uPnP as it presents a security risk. Any program could forward any port it wanted to.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

thank you for the confirmation !
You guys are great.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “Backup & Restore”