Shutdown/Sleep Function

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
Muphin
Getting the hang of things

Shutdown/Sleep Function

Post by Muphin »

My QNAP 251+ is used solely for watching movies.
It would be a nice to be able to put the NAS into hibernate/Sleep mode or shutdown after watching a movie within the "Video Station" or "HD Player" apps.
This a function that is sorely missing.

Currently the user must have Qfinder open on their computer to hibernate/Sleep mode or shutdown the NAS.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Shutdown/Sleep Function

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

well.... you can already do spindown/sleep hdd after x amount of time of no activity.

doesn't have to be app specific, if the end result is the same? actually it's probably better since it's universal for all activity on the NAS.

the other alternative is a power scheduling option. you can schedule when to boot up your nas, and when to shutdown based on the time of the day.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Muphin
Getting the hang of things

Post by Muphin »

Moogle Stiltzkin .. Thank you for your reply.

I have set the power schedule but would still like to see a hibernate/Sleep mode or shutdown within the "Video Station" or "HD Player" apps.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

you'll have to send a request to help desk :}

https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
laped
New here

Post by laped »

I was looking for similar feature on my TS251+. Yes we do already have a standby/spindown feature but I cant find a sleep feature except the one in "Power Schedule". The spindown only reduces from 18 to 10 watts where the sleep is <1 watt. So it would be nice with something like spindown after 20 mins and sleep after 2 hours of inactivity. I can create a bash script myself to do this if I can find the command to enter S3 sleep mode.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

modern nas do so much in the background ...a real sleep would never be achieved

most people can't even get the hdd spindown to kick in
laped
New here

Post by laped »

dolbyman wrote:modern nas do so much in the background ...a real sleep would never be achieved

most people can't even get the hdd spindown to kick in
Maybe but I have disabled all that junk. I just want a pure file server. Never understood the 1 million Q***** apps.
laped
New here

Post by laped »

Created a bash script that is started in a cronjob that puts the NAS into S3 sleep if no LAN traffic has occurred within the last hour. From my PI's and other PC devices I just send a WoL packet when I need to access the NAS.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the code here, but feel free to contact me if you want it :)

Nevermind here is the script. I created a small installation instruction in the top

https://bitbucket.org/laped83/coding/sr ... sleeper.sh
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

laped wrote:Created a bash script that is started in a cronjob that puts the NAS into S3 sleep if no LAN traffic has occurred within the last hour. From my PI's and other PC devices I just send a WoL packet when I need to access the NAS.
QNAP has good reasons for no longer supporting S3 sleep on their newer NAS models.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

schumaku wrote:QNAP has good reasons for no longer supporting S3 sleep on their newer NAS models.
this? Image
https://news.hitb.org/content/new-attac ... sleep-mode
NAS

Network

Resources
mhndel
New here

Post by mhndel »

laped wrote:Created a bash script that is started in a cronjob that puts the NAS into S3 sleep if no LAN traffic has occurred within the last hour. From my PI's and other PC devices I just send a WoL packet when I need to access the NAS.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the code here, but feel free to contact me if you want it :)

Nevermind here is the script. I created a small installation instruction in the top

hi laped, how can I implement this to my nas ? I plan on acquiring a 453bmini this week.

can you confirm that when active, your code will put my nas(or any) in S3 sleep mode where not only the drives but even the fan would be turned off, and only enough power (a watt or less) is maintained in order to keep the cashed memory afloat?

thanks
laped
New here

Post by laped »

The script I created puts the NAS into sleep mode, which turns of the drives and also the FAN. Afterwards the only way to wake it up is to send wake-on-lan package to its MAC address or pressing the power button on the NAS.

The script will monitor for network traffic and if none has occurred within 3600 seconds the drive will be put into sleep and use like <1 Watt instead of ~15 watts. This script will only work if the NAS is used as a pure network share. Many of the NAS services will create network traffic and then the script doesn't work. But for me it fulfills my needs. The guide in the top of the code should be enough to get you started if you have some *NIX experience.
mhndel wrote:

hi laped, how can I implement this to my nas ? I plan on acquiring a 453bmini this week.

can you confirm that when active, your code will put my nas(or any) in S3 sleep mode where not only the drives but even the fan would be turned off, and only enough power (a watt or less) is maintained in order to keep the cashed memory afloat?

thanks
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

Muphin wrote:My QNAP 251+ is used solely for watching movies. It would be a nice to be able to put the NAS into hibernate/Sleep mode or shutdown after watching a movie within the "Video Station" or "HD Player" apps. This a function that is sorely missing. Currently the user must have Qfinder open on their computer to hibernate/Sleep mode or shutdown the NAS.
I second you. I would also welcome sleep button on the unit front panel.
For watching movies you might be better off with Synology (including DS Video) DS213+/413 models with deep sleep function. AFAIK sleep mode depends on CPU architecture (actually awakening from deep sleep mode).
johnsy
New here

Post by johnsy »

Hi.
One question about sleeper.sh script:
# 3) Update LAN_NET if needed.
If my router is 192.168.1.1 and NAS 192.168.1.7, then I can leave default value as it is?
LAN_NET="192.168"
waldauf
Starting out

Post by waldauf »

Great solution... works like charm. THX!

Return to “Features Wanted”