Building a TVS-873e and considering Seagate EXOS X12.

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
Typ986
New here

Building a TVS-873e and considering Seagate EXOS X12.

Post by Typ986 »

Anyone have experience with these drives?

I've been looking at the 12TB options on the market (that are compatible with the TVS-873e) and it's down to Seagate Exos X12 (ST12000NM0007) and the WD Gold (WD121KRYZ).

Anyone have experience with any of these?
P3R
Guru

Re: Building a TVS-873e and considering Seagate EXOS X12.

Post by P3R »

I only have experience with 4 TB Exos disks (possibly not marketed anymore) and very old 3 TB Hitachi Ultrastar but in general you really can't go wrong with enterprise disks found on the Qnap compatibility list.

If they've been badly packed by the reseller and/or the transporter used them as footballs you may end up with a DOA or soon failing product but it happens with all brands and is the reason warranties exist.

Using several huge disks I would recommend RAID 6.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
seagate_surfer
Starting out

Post by seagate_surfer »

Hi Typ986,

Thank you for considering Seagate for your storage. For your use case we would recommend either the Exos X12 or IronWolf, depending on your preferences.

Thank you for considering Seagate, regardless of which route you decide is the best fit for your needs in the end!
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming
Typ986
New here

Post by Typ986 »

Hi seagate_surfer,

I did end up going with the X12's.

And so far I'm satisfied with the drives doing their jobs. I am curious tho, why the EXOS X12 line does not include IHM or something similar? Is there or isn't there IHM or something similar in the EXOS line? And if so, how do you access it, more specifically can you access it from QNAP?
seagate_surfer
Starting out

Post by seagate_surfer »

Typ986 wrote:Hi seagate_surfer,

I did end up going with the X12's.

And so far I'm satisfied with the drives doing their jobs. I am curious tho, why the EXOS X12 line does not include IHM or something similar? Is there or isn't there IHM or something similar in the EXOS line? And if so, how do you access it, more specifically can you access it from QNAP?
Hi Typ986,

To answer your question about IHM, The IHM software has been created in collaboration with Synology for our NAS specific hard drive line: the Seagate IronWolf.
Besides, the Seagate Exos drives make part of an enterprise line dedicated to hyperscale usage, which has the software SeaTools to diagnose them.

I hope this has been helpful.
Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”