TVS-951X Fan is DOA

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
oldWindowsGuy
Starting out

TVS-951X Fan is DOA

Post by oldWindowsGuy »

It appears that my brand new 951X has a non-functioning fan! UGH!

I was approximately an hour into the initial setup, after updating the firmware, setting up my QNAP account, coming up with a clever subdomain name, etc, when I finally got through all the wizards and noticed that my four 7200 RPM HGST NAS hard drives were all showing "ABNORMAL". The unit was also giving an audio warning that I couldn't quite understand -- now I know it was saying "Fan Module Error."

I looked at the back and sure enough - the fan was not spinning. I shut it down immediately and yanked the hard drives out. They were too hot to hold! I stuck them in front of a (working!) household fan. (If this thing cooked my brand new hard drives, I'm going to be even less happy.)

I was really looking forward to playing with a new NAS, not an Easy Bake Oven!

Any recommendations? Open a ticket with QNAP? Return it to the seller (Newegg)? Take it apart and see if I can get it working? (I can see that the fan is plugged into the motherboard. I don't see anything obvious. The fan spins freely with my finger.)

Oh, if I return it to Newegg and order a new one, will I lose my clever subdomain name for this unit?

I really want to get this thing up and running asap!

Thanks!
rgarjr
Know my way around

Re: TVS-951X Fan is DOA

Post by rgarjr »

i would probably open it and see if the fan connector is secure.

[TS-1677x] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TS-1277] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-877] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM - [TS-677] - Ryzen 2700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Corsair SF600 - [TVS-472xt] - i7-8700, 64GB RAM, PSU: Enhance Electronics 600W ENP-7660B - [TVS-871u-rp] - i7-4790K, 32GB RAM
oldWindowsGuy
Starting out

Post by oldWindowsGuy »

It looks secure to me. I can see it by just taking out all the drives.

Do they even do any QA testing before they ship these things out? A giant fan that's not spinning is pretty hard to miss.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Send it back to Newegg as DOA and get a replacement.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
oldWindowsGuy
Starting out

Post by oldWindowsGuy »

Don wrote:Send it back to Newegg as DOA and get a replacement.
I'll have to come up with another subdomain/DNS name (servername.myqnapcloud.com) for the new box, right? I won't be able to use the one I just registered to this box, since it's reserved for this one, right?

Are they released after 120 days of non-use? I read that in an old post somewhere. If so, then I could reclaim my original one eventually.

Thanks!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You would have to open a ticket and ask QNAP. I don’t use their cloud service.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
oldWindowsGuy
Starting out

Post by oldWindowsGuy »

Don wrote:You would have to open a ticket and ask QNAP. I don’t use their cloud service.
Is there a better way to access QNAP devices remotely? Or you just don't use yours that way?
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

I use a VPN to my router for remote access. That gives me access to my entire home network.

Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

oldWindowsGuy wrote:I'll have to come up with another subdomain/DNS name (servername.myqnapcloud.com) for the new box, right? I won't be able to use the one I just registered to this box, since it's reserved for this one, right?
Your myQNAPcloud host name is managed from your myQNAPcloud account. You can go to the myQNAPcloud web site (https://myqnapcloud.com/), sign in with the username and password you gave when you registered your account, and then select your device's name on the left, select the "Device Detail" tab on the top bar, then click on "Unregister" button. That will free up the name for you to use with your new device. You will then need to register your new device, and give it the previously used name which should still be available if you do both operations in a relatively short time interval.
oldWindowsGuy
Starting out

Post by oldWindowsGuy »

Mousetick wrote:Your myQNAPcloud host name is managed from your myQNAPcloud account. You can go to the myQNAPcloud web site (https://myqnapcloud.com/), sign in with the username and password you gave when you registered your account, and then select your device's name on the left, select the "Device Detail" tab on the top bar, then click on "Unregister" button. That will free up the name for you to use with your new device. You will then need to register your new device, and give it the previously used name which should still be available if you do both operations in a relatively short time interval.
Oh wow! I didn't know you could unregister a device.

I'm returning this unit and I've ordered another one. Now I just have to wait a few more days...

Thank you Don and Mousetick!

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”