I'm starting to wonder what I can use my SS-839 for.

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

I'm starting to wonder what I can use my SS-839 for.

Post by Valnurat »

Hi.

Since I can't install the lastest FW 4.3 I then wonder what I can use me SS-839 for. For now I use it only for storage for files, but what else? I feel a lot of the links in the different categories are outdated or just dead. I guess you then need to install it through App Center. I also feel that if you have a question it also take for ever to get an answer. Is this community dead or is just because this normal people who likes to play with QNAP?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: I'm starting to wonder what I can use my SS-839 for.

Post by dolbyman »

I see dozens of new threads per day ..hardly dead

it's an old system with a very low power CPU... use it as a file server..that's what it was made for
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

This is not a tech support hotline here, it's a community forum for and by end-users. If you think it's taking too long to get your answer, feel free to go look elsewhere.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

not dead, look here (under new posts)
search.php?search_id=newposts

also not everyone necessarily gets a reply. I myself skip stuff i have no idea how to help with other than perhaps refer/remind to post to helpdesk every now and then. but someone who is more knowledgeable may or may not end up replying back.

but it's all community driven, so if the time lapse of response time is not to your liking, then like mouse said, helpdesk is the best place to ask.
https://helpdesk.qnap.com

for that model, i would only use it just for a file server storage. If you want to do much more, then there are newer models with better cpus and capabilities (not to mention able to use the newer QTS).

there is lots of uses for NAS, and limiting factors is cpu passmark, thread count, how much ram it has, how many storage bays.... does it have HDMI port? is it 10gbe? or only 1gbe? lots of stuff to consider, and what is possible with that configuration.

Most people i see use their NAS for plex transcoding, kodi (using hdmi) or running some apps usually some sort of automation for media downloads like a torrent box perhaps?

other than appcenter for qpkgs, there is also the third repository https://qnapclub.eu/en which has unofficial qpkgs which some i found were also useful. And the newest app types are docker using container station which you can browse from https://hub.docker.com/search/?isAutoma ... tarCount=1

If you want some ideas, there is already an existing thread here

"What are you doing with your Qnap?"
viewtopic.php?t=2724

personally, i use my qnap quite often as media storage and accessing my media for it to be incredibly worth the money invested into it. it can be used for quite a lot more, but even the most basic usage is plenty convenient for me :) i can also set the NAS to schedule raid scrubs, and hdd smart tests, or run a bad block scan when needed. or get a notification when a hdd goes bad.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

Mousetick wrote:This is not a tech support hotline here, it's a community forum for and by end-users. If you think it's taking too long to get your answer, feel free to go look elsewhere.
It was not tech support questions I have. But thank you for pointing that out. :)
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

Ok. I would like to install a Minecraft server. Where is there thread containing that?
I have seen this viewtopic.php?t=42194 but that thread point to some application that is not working anymore. (Optware IPKG)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

couldn't resist
dammitjim.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

:)

Well my kids love Minecraft, so I would like to have a server and see if my NAS can do this little test and to prove myself wrong that my NAS is useful.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

or alternatively via docker (the qpkg method is by far easier if you want less hassle. but docker is good if you want a containerized method). You're using an older model... doubt you can do this, but for newer models this is a useful option :)
[youtube=]yblN8XabE1M[/youtube]

rather than minecraft, i would recommend fornite instead, as there is also building in that game too :mrgreen:
[youtube=]UD3MhdJBEwc[/youtube]
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Valnurat
Easy as a breeze

Post by Valnurat »

My SS-839 Pro don't support Docker.

Return to “Miscellaneous”