VPN PPTP connection

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
rmeeuwsen
New here

VPN PPTP connection

Post by rmeeuwsen »

I can't connect from the internet to my NAS using my PPTP VPN. I receive error message 628 (The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed) . When I try to connect internally it works. Also a telnet session to the WAN address on port 1723 works. 1723 is forwarded to my NAS and also PPTP passthrough is enabled on my router.

Anyone?
andr3w_0
First post

Re: VPN PPTP connection

Post by andr3w_0 »

I have the same problem
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

pptp blocked by ISP ?

some mobile ISP block it to push more expensive "business" plans
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Op was asking a specific question ... I gave a hint on why it might not work

Yes PPTP is not considered safe anymore ... why ? .. traffic can be sniffed (e.g. public wfif, etc) and then (cloud) cracked..

Maybe OP has an old router or hardware appliance that only supports PPTP... risk of sniffing is relatively low on regular connections (site to site with no public exposure)

Would I use it in a professional or public application ? .. NO .. but again .. that is not what the OP asked ..

If you want to go on a personal tirade here and post into VPN topics just to give your personal rants .. your forum presence will be a short one ... :?
Questionz
First post

Post by Questionz »

It's funny that PPTP is what QNAP is saying to be a safe and easy setup for VPN.

I need to set up access to the server that is secure, but easy to set up on other PCs because they are not tech savvy.
tiropico
First post

Post by tiropico »

Ralphort wrote:
rmeeuwsen wrote:I can't connect from the internet to my NAS using my PPTP VPN. I receive error message 628 (The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed) . When I try to connect internally it works. Also a telnet session to the WAN address on port 1723 works. 1723 is forwarded to my NAS and also PPTP passthrough is enabled on my router.

Anyone?
PPTP is no longer secured & now considered an obsolete method of VPN. It has so many security issues it's no longer useful. You might have to think again continuing with your PPTP VPN. You're better off without it. Don't listen to people giving you fixes on your PPTP connection. These so called experts should know better to tell you not to use PPTP at all. Go with secured L2TP/IPSec (easy to set up & natively supported by MS Windows & Apple) or the more secured OpenVPN.
" Tha's not an answer. The question is about the cause of error 628 and not if pptp is a secure connection". I have this issue only over an open connection(hotel wi-fi). It works fine over secure connection( phone hotospot)."
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

many hotel hotspots prevent pptp VPN, some want you to pay extra for "pro/business features" , others just don't want you to obfuscate traffic so they can apply blocking rules

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”