Qnapcloud DDNS problematic

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Cadtoon
Starting out

Qnapcloud DDNS problematic

Post by Cadtoon »

I am having problems with MyQnapcloud. It was working fined, sort of.
First I will start here. I don't know why but I notice I have MyQnapCloud and CloudLink Apps both on my NAS desktop. They both seem to do the exact same thing, should I have both installed?
Second, When I open the App, usually because my web hosting is not functioning, the web connectivity test is red. If I wait until the auto config finishes then retest it goes green. Then my web works again. Why would it go down in the first place?
Third, now (this week) resetting the web connectivity doesn't work, I can still get to my web using the IP address port:81 but not using my cloud link address port:81.
Forth, can the server login/desktop be configured to use port:81 and have the web server use port:80?
I have WordPress installed on my server, - Port:81, what a hassle, every time I add a new site I have to manually edit the database and put the : that WordPress strips out. Actually it's not WordPress that is the hassle it's Qnap for taking port:80 by default.

Thx if you can help,

Bob
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Qnapcloud DDNS problematic

Post by Mousetick »

Cadtoon wrote:I don't know why but I notice I have MyQnapCloud and CloudLink Apps both on my NAS desktop.
myQNAPcloud is normally pre-installed on the NAS. CloudLink is not installed unless you explicitly request it to be installed. So you have CloudLink App on your NAS desktop because you asked for it to be installed. Only you know why you wanted it to be installed in the first place.
They both seem to do the exact same thing, should I have both installed?
Only you know why you have installed CloudLink. If you don't know why you wanted it, perhaps it would be better to remove it. Any remote access service that you don't need or use should be uninstalled or disabled.
Second, When I open the App, usually because my web hosting is not functioning, the web connectivity test is red. If I wait until the auto config finishes then retest it goes green. Then my web works again. Why would it go down in the first place?
There is a great number of possible causes for this issue. Impossible to diagnose with the little or no information you have given. It could be at QNAP's end, at your ISP, or at your end.
Third, now (this week) resetting the web connectivity doesn't work, I can still get to my web using the IP address port:81 but not using my cloud link address port:81.
Your CloudLink address? So you're indeed using CloudLink but you don't know why it's there? This doesn't make any sense.
Forth, can the server login/desktop be configured to use port:81 and have the web server use port:80?
Yes, it's possible. Consult the user manual or browse the Control Panel. You'll find the appropriate settings where you can change the respective QTS and web server ports, on the relevant pages of the Control Panel. It's pretty obvious and self-explanatory.
I have WordPress installed on my server
I hope you're aware of the security risks involved in running a WordPress server accessible from the Internet on your own NAS. WordPress (and the required PHP packages) have about as many holes, security-wise, as Swiss cheese. At the very minimum, you should make your web site(s) exclusively accessible via HTTPS.
Cadtoon
Starting out

Re: Qnapcloud DDNS problematic

Post by Cadtoon »

They both seem to do the exact same thing, should I have both installed?
Only you know why you have installed CloudLink. If you don't know why you wanted it, perhaps it would be better to remove it. Any remote access service that you don't need or use should be uninstalled or disabled.

Thanks, I will remove CloudLink.
There is a great number of possible causes for this issue. Impossible to diagnose with the little or no information you have given. It could be at QNAP's end, at your ISP, or at your end.

How do I proceed to diagnose the cause? Really all I want is to be able to access the web server when I expect it to be working. I really think the problem is with QNAP DDNS.
Your CloudLink address? So you're indeed using CloudLink but you don't know why it's there? This doesn't make any sense.

CloudLink was probably not the best wording to use. I tried it last night from a remote location. Using XXX.myqnapcloud.com:81 It 404's website not found. I can access the server via IP address:81.
Yes, it's possible. Consult the user manual or browse the Control Panel. You'll find the appropriate settings where you can change the respective QTS and web server ports, on the relevant pages of the Control Panel. It's pretty obvious and self-explanatory.

Thank you, I will look into doing this.
I have WordPress installed on my server
I hope you're aware of the security risks involved in running a WordPress server accessible from the Internet on your own NAS. WordPress (and the required PHP packages) have about as many holes, security-wise, as Swiss cheese. At the very minimum, you should make your web site(s) exclusively accessible via HTTPS.[/quote]

I am aware there are risks running PHP, and yes PHP is the backbone of Wordpress. What I don't know is how deep of a threat it is. If it is restricted to only hacking my websites or SQL database, I can deal with that. If it can attack my OS and other files now it may be a problem.

I have had issues with SSL errors in the past and it would not boot properly, I noticed during the last app update it began functioning again. I may need some guidance with HTTPS, We'll have to see.

When I purchased my QNAP it was purely for a file backup system. However the lose of my job has changed things. I was a multimedia /website developer many years ago. I also did a bit of system administration. The past ten years my skills were mostly for providing content and developing ISO procedures. I turn the QNAP on to the web to update/develop my skills. Truly I hate how WordPress works, buy this theme, buy that plugin. However, it is on 33%+ webhosts. I'm old school html and javascript and have to start somewhere, I am open to learning any other free web application you might suggest would be better.

Thank you Mousetick

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”