DDNS and Web Connectivity Problem

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
macentrasher
Starting out

DDNS and Web Connectivity Problem

Post by macentrasher »

Greetings,
Today I updated my nas to firmware version 4.3.5.0713. As of today myqnapcloud stopped working. I like many other users here am using a VPN client on my nas. Here lies the issue. When the QNAP nas starts up it connects to a VPN service. It then uses that VPN service wan address as its DDNS (myqnapcloud) address and everything fails to connect to the nas from the outside internet.

NAS BOOTS -> NAS Connects to VPN -> NAS reports to DDNS (myqnapcloud) its wan IP address (but its the VPN address not my home wan address) -> Nothing can connect to nas from outside network ie. insertnamehere.myqnapcloud.com always fails because its using VPN address instead of correct home wan address.

Unfortunately my home IP is dynamic and it does change so a static route isn't going to help me.

Is there a way to force the nas to report its real Wan ip address to myqnapcloud instead of the VPN provided address so that I can connect remotely again?
HighPG
New here

Re: DDNS and Web Connectivity Problem

Post by HighPG »

I am experiencing a similar Issue after upgrading to 4.3.5
I cannot reach the NAS externally through insertnamehere.myqnapcloud.com any more.
If I log in to myQNAPcloud.com web portal I can reach it - but not directly.
I also have VPN set up.., and looking through the config I cant really figure out why..
VPN works fine - also with clients connected through the nas.
There must be something with the DDNS - but this also reports being up to date and connected.
The smart URL link does not work either.
Any ideas what can be the root couse?
macentrasher
Starting out

Post by macentrasher »

It’s caused by the nas using the vpn wan address instead of my actual wan address and I don’t know how to correct it. As soon as I sign out of the VPN it works fine and updates with the correct ip. When I reconnect the vpn myqnapcloud sees the change and sets it back to my vpn wan address.
wastedtalent_nl
First post

Post by wastedtalent_nl »

I now connect to my NAS using it's direct IP address. Hopefully anyone has a solution to make the DDNS work again.
wazzaworld
Starting out

Post by wazzaworld »

Exactly the same issue for me. VPN addresss is being used instead of the local ISP address.

I may have to switch DDNS back to my router instead, but am sure this was fine prior to 4.3.5.
wazzaworld
Starting out

Post by wazzaworld »

I logged a ticket with QNAP. Will see what they say and post back.....
brandonr91
First post

Post by brandonr91 »

@OP I am having similar issue. I also have a non-static wan address. However, I note mine doesn't change often. Once a month or less. It might just be worth the hassle until a fix is developed (if they can - likely need a wan detector app). Currently mine is statically set and is working without issue.
mixar
New here

Post by mixar »

The top 3 posts on this sub right now are about the exact same issue.
Invisibleman
Starting out

Post by Invisibleman »

I have the same problem and I noticed, that the DDNS wan-ip is taken from the standard gateway (standard adapter) WAN IP. In order to solve this, at least for me, is that you should be able to select a different adapter for the DDNS WAN IP and not only using the fix standard gateway IP as the WAN IP that is being send to the DDNS service provider.
wazzaworld
Starting out

Post by wazzaworld »

I'm still having a to and fro email session with QNAP on this one. Something definitely changed in the new firmware (which I think brought QVPN version 2 and this new "Use VPN as Default Gateway" option).

Will post when I get a response.
Invisibleman
Starting out

Post by Invisibleman »

Hello wazzaworld,

I think that Qnap should make it possible to add the option to determine which DNS server should be use with which adapter. So that you then can say I want adapter 1 to be used for the VPN DNS and adapter 2 for the standard gateway.

But for now inside the Qnap the standard gateway is the one that only can be used for the DNS (DynDNS) server. And I think it is strange, that you can not make this selection in every adapter that there is.

regards,
Hans
wazzaworld
Starting out

Post by wazzaworld »

Then you Hans. Yes, this would be very useful.

Hopefully QNAP can implement something like this. At least before I start amending settings myself 😀.
wazzaworld
Starting out

Post by wazzaworld »

wazzaworld wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 am I'm still having a to and fro email session with QNAP on this one. Something definitely changed in the new firmware (which I think brought QVPN version 2 and this new "Use VPN as Default Gateway" option).

Will post when I get a response.
So, final response from QNAP support is no fix - yet!

They say they are working on a new firmware version 4.5 which will introduce a modification of the default gateway via VPN option to fix the issue. Version is only in development though with no ETA. Sigh!
Invisibleman
Starting out

Post by Invisibleman »

Hello Wazzaworld,

Thanks for the information and we then need to see how and if it works. At least they are doing something.

I only hope, that Qnap will be smart enough to let the user choose which adapter's WAN IP he/she want to use for the DDNS server. And that it will not be set in Qnap own VPN server. For then you're still are bound and can't separate the standard adapter with the adapter I need for the DDNS (DynDNS) gateway.

But we need to wait and see this part.

Regards,
Hans
edutron
First post

Post by edutron »

Revert back to last revision

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/download?mod ... y=firmware

Try it. Might get lucky.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”