Download Station and QVPN

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
sadsak
New here

Download Station and QVPN

Post by sadsak »

I am running 4.3.3 on an old 569L with Download Station 5.0.64 and QVPN 1.0.17213. I configured DS to connect to a VPN defined in QVPN but it is not behaving the way I would expect. If I start a torrent transfer in DS and then disconnect the VPN connection, the torrent transmission rates will drop to zero, but if I wait a while the rates will then start to pickup again and the torrent will download. I do not have the VPN configured to reconnect, so I don't know what is going on. While the VPN is disconnected and the torrent is continuing to download, if I try a search in DS, I get no results. If I reestablish the VPN connection, the same search gets results. Anyone seeing similar behavior?
sadsak
New here

Re: Download Station and QVPN

Post by sadsak »

I fiddled with this a lot yesterday. After a few reboots and reinstalls of QVPN and DS, it seems to be working. The only thing that still does not seem right is that DS will not start downloading if I kill and restart the vpn connection. I need to pause and resume the torrents for that happen. As odd as this is, I will still take it over the torrent downloading without the VPN being up.
windymiller
First post

Post by windymiller »

Hi there, I am getting similar unexpected behaviour - D/S frequently stops altogether, i disconnect/reconnect the VPN, but there is traffic in between, and the connection logs for the VPN do not marry with the downloads...

Was there anything specific you did to get to your improved situation - any tips? Thanks...
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

How do you set up download station to use the VPN while all other traffic does not?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
geteco
First post

Post by geteco »

Don wrote:How do you set up download station to use the VPN while all other traffic does not?
1) Setup your VPN client in QVPN Service and connect

2) Open App Center and config Download Station to Connect to the VPN Client
QVPN.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

@geteco, thanks! I never knew that was there.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

What happens if you have DL Station set up to use a VPN and the VPN goes down? Does DL Station revert to using the default gateway or another connection?

sonnsterr
Know my way around

Post by sonnsterr »

Don wrote:What happens if you have DL Station set up to use a VPN and the VPN goes down? Does DL Station revert to using the default gateway or another connection?
It will just wait until it reconnects on whatever you had selected...
QNAP TS-1677X 1700 RAM 64G
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

That is what I was hoping but I’m not sure it is true. Lets’a just say my ISP detected I was downloading a file even though I was set up to use a VPN. The VPN was disconnecting about every 24 hours for a few seconds and this is when the detection took place. VPN company suggested trying a different server to see if it is more stable. Maybe I’ll open a ticket with QNAP to see what they say about it.

Neophear
Starting out

Post by Neophear »

geteco wrote:
Don wrote:How do you set up download station to use the VPN while all other traffic does not?

QVPN.png
I had no idea you could do that! Thank you so much!
Majister
New here

Post by Majister »

Hey, is there a way to do same thing for other app, namely rutorrent?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

geteco wrote:

QVPN.png
also as long as the qts gateway (in network virtual switch) is not set to use the vpn, then yes, only your torrent will use the qvpn only (if you had additionally followed that tip by the other user mentioned) :)

Majister wrote:Hey, is there a way to do same thing for other app, namely rutorrent?
there is a qpkg for rtorrent
https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/376

but not sure if there is a toggle for it to select vpn like that other screenshot for download station or not :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Majister
New here

Post by Majister »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:
there is a qpkg for rtorrent
https://www.qnapclub.eu/en/qpkg/376

but not sure if there is a toggle for it to select vpn like that other screenshot for download station or not :'
Yeah I have rutorrent and QVPN, but Rutorrent is missing that setting toggle like download station has. Could be however some system settings problem/additional tuning needed.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

the rutorrent qpkg does not have the toggle in appcenter for qvpn? oo that sux :{
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
InfinityFrog
First post

Post by InfinityFrog »

Don wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 pm That is what I was hoping but I’m not sure it is true. Lets’a just say my ISP detected I was downloading a file even though I was set up to use a VPN. The VPN was disconnecting about every 24 hours for a few seconds and this is when the detection took place. VPN company suggested trying a different server to see if it is more stable. Maybe I’ll open a ticket with QNAP to see what they say about it.
How were you able to determine that this is what happened? Did you use any specific tools to verify or recreate the VPN leak?
I think the same thing happened to me and I'd like to run some tests to make sure I avoid this problem going forward...
Thanks!

Return to “Download Station and QGet”