Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Post by dolbyman »

insert an empty drive and see if you can setup from scratch
yao88
New here

Re: Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Post by yao88 »

The behaviour is the same. And it's the same aftwr a firmware recovery too.

I'm afraid i have to send it for repair
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

found this thread with a similar issue
viewtopic.php?t=133776

there seems to be no firmware recovery procedure for your NAS type either... weird
yao88
New here

Post by yao88 »

well it's slightly different. in that thread he was able to start successfully the nas without drives.
in my case, if turn on without drives, after "loading driver", on the display appear the firmware version for 1 second and on the monitor appear the message to plug and initializate the disks then reboot itself
If I insert back the drives, the behavior is the same.

for the recovery I've followed the standard procedure, using the section where "TS-X53 series" is reported.

Is it possible to update the firmware to a lastest version in the same way, through the boot from an USB drive?
If yes, I believe it's the last test I could do..
phrunt
Starting out

Post by phrunt »

My TS-431's have been perfect for months now until installing the firmware that came out yesterday, now the random rebooting is back

I don't recommend installing this firmware

4.3.6.0776 build 20181130
jollino
Starting out

Post by jollino »

I keep getting reboots whenever I transfer a decent amount of data to the NAS after it's been sitting for a while. Apparently a prior version (0644) should have addressed the issue of a "randomly restart after handling I/O intensive operations for a long time" (as referenced on https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ting_down/), but in my case it hasn't; in fact I'm all the way to .0923 and it still happens. I don't use the NAS often; it generally sits there and once a week or so I will copy several GB worth of data to it using SMB from a Mac.

So far the only workaround I've found is to do multiple copies of around 3-4 GB each, but that's frustrating as hell as there's no way of knowing if/when it will still trigger a random reboot. I even ran a coplete SMART test on all four disks *and* a full disk scan, and they're all in perfect shape. I'm starting to get really frustrated, Qnap had even looked into it (getting access to my NAS) and came up with nothing at all. I haven't even tried the scrub ever since I started this thread to avoid triggering the issue, but now it's happening even with simple file copies and it's making the NAS basically unusable.

Am I the only one still dealing with this when transferring data to the NAS?
trafsta
New here

Post by trafsta »

I have a TS-431 with 4 x 2TB drives running firmware version 4.3.6.0959. It was recently factory reset and I jumped up to this version of firmware during that reset. For a few weeks it was crashing/rebooting 2-5 times a day, same as what you are all seeing. What has worked for the past 3-4 days is switching the fan from auto to high speed (control panel -> system -> hardware -> smart fan -> set fan rotation speed manually -> high speed).

Has anyone else tried this yet? Curious if it's just been a fluke these past few days or what. But like I said it was rebooting many times a day prior to making this change.

I did not see these issues on much older builds of firmware (talking 3-5+ years older) but at this point I think I'm stuck with this newer version since I don't want to rebuild the box again, and so far this high speed setting has fixed it...
jollino
Starting out

Post by jollino »

trafsta wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:49 pm I have a TS-431 with 4 x 2TB drives running firmware version 4.3.6.0959. It was recently factory reset and I jumped up to this version of firmware during that reset. For a few weeks it was crashing/rebooting 2-5 times a day, same as what you are all seeing. What has worked for the past 3-4 days is switching the fan from auto to high speed (control panel -> system -> hardware -> smart fan -> set fan rotation speed manually -> high speed).
I haven't tried this yet, but I was wondering if that solved the problem. I'm starting to think that it may indeed be an issue with overheating, as it always happens when the NAS is doing something "big". I recently tried xigmanas on a vm (as I plan to eventually move away from this Qnap, it just doesn't feel reliable anymore) and noticed that smbd was choking with 200% cpu when transferring data from my Mac. I haven't tested yet how much cpu the Qnap uses with smbd when I transfer files from the Mac, but I did have it crash again earlier after just 50 GB of data. After the reboot I enabled AFP sharing and I'm copying the same files, and so far I'm at 98 GB without a problem, other than it being slightly slower. The afpd process is using about 35% of cpu, and md1_raid5 is using another 20%. It may be that smbd just takes the system to the point where it triggers a safety reboot.

If anyone has done any other tests, it would be interesting to know what's new — surely I can't be the only one still dealing with this annoyance? (Or has anyone else thrown their NAS out of the window? I can understand the temptation...)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”