Graphics card in my TVS-882 for Plex to use

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
mgadbois
New here

Graphics card in my TVS-882 for Plex to use

Post by mgadbois »

I have a TVS-882-i3 with 8gb of RAM. I am running Pxex on it and when I record shows on Plex via my HDHomerun Quatro the CPU is between 70 and 100%. Can I add a graphics card to off load the processing to it to leave the QNAP CPU alone? Looking to lessen the load on the QNAP CPU a bit as I get ready to "cut the cord" on cable and have the Plex server be my DVR.

Thanks in advance...
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Graphics card in my TVS-882 for Plex to use

Post by Trexx »

If you have plex pass, I would first try enabling HW transcoding support in Plex. I believe the i3 version still has a GPU integrated with it.

Currently the only way to be able to leverage a GPU on yours would be to create a Win10 VM with Plex installed and use GPU Passthrough. You then would point the Windows 10 Plex back at the QNAP shared folders that store your media.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
mgadbois
New here

Post by mgadbois »

I have hardware transcoding on already. I was afraid that would be the answer would be a VM. Thanks for confirming it though. I may look at upgrading the processor to an i7 and maybe, funds permitting, add more RAM.
insight2663
First post

Post by insight2663 »

I have neen back and forth with qnap support. The feature to allow plex to us GPU transcoding is not there yet. It's supposedly on the way, but, no time frame yet. currently, some models with AMD CPU have that feature because the AMD cpu does not have the instruction set to transcode. Don'r know why it is so difficult to do with intel cpu. I did not know any of this untill after i bought my tvs-882. Very disappointed

Return to “Plex Media Server”