Cannot connect through DDNS

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
schogobong
Starting out

Cannot connect through DDNS

Post by schogobong »

Hi everybody
I am experiencing issues when connecting to my NAS via its DDNS (at least I think that's what it is? --> NASNAME.myqnapcloud.com).

I have seen some others experiencing similar issues, however, I wasn't able to find a solution to this.

My Setup:
QNAP TS-431P
2x 6TB HDD (Raid 1)
Firmware Version 4.3.5.0713

UPnP router with all port forwarding set up.

After the most recent update, I was prompted to reboot my NAS, which I did. However, the NAS never fully rebooted. So I pressed the power button for a couple seconds to shut it down. Afterwards I turned my NAS back on but couldn't connect to its Web Interface. So I pressed the reset button for three seconds, after which a was able to log into my NAS using a LAN connection. I then set up CloudLink again.

I am now able to access my NAS via qlink.to/NASNAME. However, via NASNAME.myqnapcloud.com, I just end up at the Chrome error message that the site cannot be reached or is not functioning properly. In some cases, when connecting to my NAS remotely via qlink.to, I cannot even open certain applications such as myQNAPcloud, instead I get an error message saying that this application is not available through the CloudLink service or something like that.

I have a UPnP Router with the appropriate port forwarding set up.

Although I have no idea what the issue is, I have noticed the following oddities that might give some indication?:
- In my router settings there are some port forwardings (which were set up by my NAS automatically) that show the following message "error_translate". However, I have set up all the necessary port forwards manually as well, so this shouldn't be an issue.
- On the myQNAPcloud overview it says that the Status of the Network Connectivity is ok, so is the CloudLink status, as well as the DDNS status. However, the Web Connectivity shows an error for all four ports).

The biggest issue is that I have some applications that depend on accessing my NAS via a DDNS. For example, I use an Emby/Kodi combination which uses the DDNS. This allows Kodi to connect to the correct IP, regardless of my location (local vs. remote).

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out with getting my NASNAME.myqnapcloud.com link working again.

Thank you so much!
schogobong
dizzy0709
Starting out

Re: Cannot connect through DDNS

Post by dizzy0709 »

I also upgraded to latest firmware and issue with DDNS.

I also use VPN and and remote connectivity just did not work for url MyQNAPCloud.Com , the fix I did in the end was in MyQNAPCloud, in section My DDNS changed it to manually configure DDNS IP of my routers address.
schogobong
Starting out

Post by schogobong »

Hi everybody

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I might have found a fix to my issue (however, long-term testing is still to take place). When looking around the web interface to find potential issues, I found that my VPN provided an additional TCP port. So I forwarded that and now it seems to be working.

Let's hope that's it!
schogobong
Starting out

Post by schogobong »

Well that sure wasn't it. It didn't even withstand short-term testing and I again can't reach my NAS at NASNAME.myqnapcloud.com.
schogobong
Starting out

Post by schogobong »

dizzy0709 wrote:I also upgraded to latest firmware and issue with DDNS.

I also use VPN and and remote connectivity just did not work for url MyQNAPCloud.Com , the fix I did in the end was in MyQNAPCloud, in section My DDNS changed it to manually configure DDNS IP of my routers address.
So you assigned a static IPv4 address? What kind of address did you assign? Because depending on whether I'm trying to access my NAS locally or remotely, my IP is a different one.
dizzy0709
Starting out

Post by dizzy0709 »

The IP I made manual entry into My DDNS was the original one that my ISP assigned to my broadband router, do not worry about the VNP IP, just make sure your VNP is set to use the gateway of your router.
schogobong
Starting out

Post by schogobong »

Thanks for your reply! I have now set a static IP in both the DNS settings as well as in the CloudLink DDNS settings. Both have been set to IP address I use to remotely connect to my NAS. So far it seems to work.

However, this is more of a workaround and I still hope that somebody can find a solution to this issue.
Janne79
Starting out

Post by Janne79 »

Same problem here...I think. I have a TS-431P running and since I upgraded to FW 4.3.5.0713 I can't access via NAME.myqnapcloud.com.

The reason is obvious for me. The NAS simply doesn't automatically talk to myqnapcloud delivering a new IP adress once I got a new one from my ISP (happens once every 24h). The status page on myqnapcloud.com still shows the old IP adress. A workaround solution is to login to my NAS from in my local network and push the update button in the myqnapcloud application on my NAS manually. Seconds after that the status page on myqnapcloud.com refreshes and shows the actual IP. So it seems like the myqnapcloud application on my NAS is not updating my IP automatically to the DDNS server of qnap (as it is supposed to do).

This seems to be a FW issue. I also have a TS-653B running on FW 4.3.4.0695 and don't have any myqnapcloud issues there at all. This needs to be fixed asap.
Taels
Starting out

Post by Taels »

schogobong wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm Thanks for your reply! I have now set a static IP in both the DNS settings as well as in the CloudLink DDNS settings. Both have been set to IP address I use to remotely connect to my NAS. So far it seems to work.

However, this is more of a workaround and I still hope that somebody can find a solution to this issue.
I can't even do that. CloudLink doesn't let me change the ipv4 and ipv6 addresses =(
DickyDck
Getting the hang of things

Post by DickyDck »

nearly a year later I am having the same issue, anyone ever get this fixed or was it just another firmware update?
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

DickyDck wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 am nearly a year later I am having the same issue, anyone ever get this fixed or was it just another firmware update?
"Me too" posts like this are counter-productive, unless the intent is to help other users confirm that the issue they're experiencing is not isolated and may be caused by defective QNAP software or hardware, in which case they should be made in a timely manner - 2 years after the OP in your case is way too late as things change all the time.

I'm assuming you posted because you are looking for help. In that case, create a new thread and describe your situation in details, just like the OP did. Don't assume that your issue is the same as the OP and don't make the readers guess what you're talking about, as they won't bother.
bonndogga
First post

Post by bonndogga »

What I've found is that when my VPN is turned on my DDNS doesn't work because it gets allocated the VPN WAN IP from my VPN service provider. As soon as I turn the VPN off the DDNS is updated back to my actual WAN IP and DDNS works again. I'm hoping to find a way to get it working when the VPN is on. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”