Network and Virtual Switch - Don't touch

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
spikemixture
Been there, done that

Network and Virtual Switch - Don't touch

Post by spikemixture »

This my opinion from my experience !

If you are not a network or Qnap guru do not play/tune your network and virtual switches.

I have tried to "tune" mine multiple times over the last 6 months of Qnap ownership.

I have tried 1,2,3,4 connections (Trunked and un-trunked) on their own and running all - plus I have a 10GBE card linked directly to my main PC.
I have tried 1,2 and 3 Virtual Switches. Multiple Ip address's and single Ip address and Jumbo Frames, set and default gateways and more.

For example the trunking of 2 adapters I would get regular errors saying connection lost.
Just today I decided to delete Trunking to fix the problem.
This time I could not get back in to my NAS after deleting the Trunking ( and I had 3 ip address's for 3 adapters)
I full reboot got me back in.

I am saying virtually (:lol:) everytime I try changing anything it goes wrong with reboots or resets quite common and the only way back to sanity.

MY warning is don't go past the default settings!
If you do be prepared for grief (and a little panic)!
Qnap TS-1277 1700 (48gb RAM) 8x10TB WD White,- Raid5, 2x M.2 Crucial 1TB (Raid 1 VM),
2x SSD 860 EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD 860 EVO 250GB (Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe 970 500gb NVME (Raid1 Plex and Emby server)
GTX 1050 TI
Qnap TVS-1282 i7 (32GB RAM) 6x8TB WD White - JBOD, 2x M.2 Crucial 500gb (Raid1 VM),
2x SSD EVO 500gb (Raid1 QTS), 2x SSD EVO 250gb (Raid1 Cache), 2x M.2 PCIe Intel 512GB NVME (Raid1-Servers)
Synology -1817+ - DOA
Drobo 5n - 5x4TB Seagate, - Drobo Raid = 15TB
ProBox 8 Bay USB3 - 49TB mixed drives - JBOD
All software is updated asap.
I give my opinion from my experience i.e. I have (or had) that piece of equipment/software and used it! :roll:
QNAPDanielFL
Easy as a breeze

Re: Network and Virtual Switch - Don't touch

Post by QNAPDanielFL »

I understand that network and virtual switch can be complicated. But we just had a webinar on it that I think makes it easier to understand and use. It is also layed out in a much more clear way in the overview with QTS 4.3.5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... FzwoybhXKs
camm80
First post

Re: Network and Virtual Switch - Don't touch

Post by camm80 »

I’ll check out the video and hope I learn something new but truthfully 4.3.5 has been a nightmare for me. I have 8-10 docker containers running and had a few with their own network adapters. Ever since upgrading I have experienced the following:

- lost DNS settings
- has to delete all network adaptors and recreate
- eventually did a reset on network settings
- have a new management interface that is filling up my unifi connection logs with random Mac addresses
- had to reconfigure all docker containers to pass DNS to them
- ended up removing trunking to see if something with it was causing 100’s of rogue Mac addresses to fill my unifi client list
- reboot to find the UI lost all settings to display and disconnects my adapters

It seriously has been bad and I would roll back but it warns straight away in the update notes that it is not supported. If the thing reboots it scares me.

I’m already now looking at devices to offload docker too and just use this as a NAS even though that ability was the whole reason I bought this NAS. I think the qnet drivers just no longer work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”