DAS capabilities in 253a/b 251a etc.

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
vinay
New here

DAS capabilities in 253a/b 251a etc.

Post by vinay »

Hi,

I understand that QNAP 253a/b and maybe various 251 versions include what's called "DAS", meaning, that it is possible to connect a computer to the storage as an external drive through USB or Thunderbolt. Is that the case?
If so, when attaching computer to the storage device that way - does it work and appear exactly the same as external hard disk does?

Reason I'm asking is as follows and may be very relevant to many other customers.

I'm using crashplan that runs on windows for backup (as many other people). The issue with moving to NAS is that crashplan doesn't support backing up directly from the NAS and if backing from another computer then windows is not formally supported because when a drive is mounted to windows crashplan service doesn't have access (permission issues of the service). There are workaround to that but they are not supported by crashplan and I don't want to use an unsupported configuration with an important service such as backup.

However, crash plan does support external disks under windows.

So if I could connect my windows machine to the QNAP and QNAP would appear as an external hard drive, that would solve my (and other's) backup issues, you would even be able to make sure such configuration is officially supported by Crashplan and that would help quite a few people.

So back to the initial question - do above models (and/or others) support DAS in a way that a windows computer would see the storage device exactly like an external disk when connected through USB/Thunderbold?

Thanks
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: DAS capabilities in 253a/b 251a etc.

Post by storageman »

No, Qnap shares or mapping external disks \\192.168.1.100\USB Disk 1 is still not a DAS. Still over a share protocol.
The closest to DAS is using ISCSI.
vinay
New here

Post by vinay »

How can I use ISCSI with QNAP? Is it supported in these model? Will QNAP appear as an external drive in that configuration?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

iscsi is supported on all qnap models ...setup is explained in the manual
vinay
New here

Post by vinay »

Will it appear as an external drive and support my cloud backup plan as described in the initial post?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

never used crashplan, but the drive will appear as external block storage device
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

BTW: @dolbyman - congrats on your 10k posts! :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

OneCD wrote:BTW: @dolbyman - congrats on your 10k posts! :D
woop woop .. still not able to delete spam posts .. lol
vinay
New here

Post by vinay »

dolbyman wrote:never used crashplan, but the drive will appear as external block storage device
Sounds good then, I found another thread somewhere where someone indeed said Crashplan knows to backup iScsi targets.
And just to verify - iScsi will allow me to see the same data that is accessed by other machines over the network through standard mounts, is isn't some separate volume with separate storage on the NAS, right?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ISCSI will be a separate block storage (as mentioned before) file or pool based (your choice) .. it will NOT be accessible via share to other network devices
vinay
New here

Post by vinay »

Oh, so it doesn't help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think in your original post your were referring to "quick access" that feature just creates a virtual network adapter when you plug your device into the QNAP so it is also NOT a DAS
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

dolbyman wrote:ISCSI will be a separate block storage (as mentioned before) file or pool based (your choice) .. it will NOT be accessible via share to other network devices
Not quite true, nothing to stop you then sharing that PC/server mapped drive to other network users.
Obviously if the PC/server is off no access for network users to the LUN/share even if the NAS is up.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

OP - You may want to look at the upcoming QNAP Live video for the TR-004. Depending on your needs, might be closer to what you are looking for.

https://live.qnap.com/en/video/show/1851
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Presales”