Lastest Firmwares break AD

Questions about using Windows AD service.
R1ch
New here

Lastest Firmwares break AD

Post by R1ch »

Hi,
I am running a TS-251+ as a stand alone Domain Controller. I am using a separate computer to assign DHCP but assign the NAS as the primary DNS server. This all works fine when using version 4.3.4.0597 firmware.

When I upgrade the firmware to any of the latest ones, version 4.3.5.0713 included DNS and AD functionality all stops working and trying any of the Windows AD management tools gives the error of "The server is not operational". If I revert the firmware back to 4.3.4.0597 everything starts working again.

Many Thanks
Rich
sistemas.codini
First post

Re: Lastest Firmwares break AD

Post by sistemas.codini »

I have similar problem after latest firmware update.
The NAS disconnects from AD after minutes, then the resources become unavailables. After that I need to enter to Web Interface and reconnect AD manually.
Please QNAP SUPPORT brings a solution!!
Corsair
Know my way around

Post by Corsair »

If you read through the posts in the firmware section of the forum (viewforum.php?f=73) you will - in the section relevant to your NAS - that there have been a few reported issues with the 4.3.5.x firmware.

Please report any issues you experience directly to QNAP so they are aware of them. https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Model: TS-451+ Firmware: 4.5.4.2280 build 20230112
HDDs: 2x 4.0 TB Western Digital WD40EFRX-68N32N0 in Bays 1 & 2 RAID: RAID 1
HDDs: 2x 1.0 TB Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 ST6O in Bays 3 & 4 RAID: RAID 1
Storage Pool & Volume: Both RAID 1 groups combined into one storage pool with one, thick, volume.
Services: Microsoft Networking, File Station,Web Server
Apps: PLEX Media Server 1.30.0.6442
Ossie
First post

Post by Ossie »

I have the same problem.

I discovered that under Domain Security / Edit Redundant Domain Controller it was showing my domain controllers as missing.

If I manually set DNS Servers it seems to resolve the issue.
Iduna
First post

Post by Iduna »

Hi,
I have the same problem in two QNAPs
Anything new?
R1ch
New here

Post by R1ch »

I have now upgraded to 4.3.5.0278 to see if the issue had been resolved. Unfortunately it hasn't and my domain has stopped working again. However when I go to Domain Controller on the QNAP Control Panel I now get a very unhelpful message saying "The default gateway interface has not been setup correctly."?????
frongiam
New here

Post by frongiam »

R1ch wrote: "The default gateway interface has not been setup correctly."?????
It's the same issue we have and we are unable to demote the NAS or make any changes because checkbox and other settings option are grey and cannot be modified.
Already opened a ticket on 12th October and have not received a reply yet....
R1ch
New here

Post by R1ch »

I think I have found a fix. For me the issue seems to revolve around only using 1 of the 2 network ports on the NAS and having the other sitting unconfigured.

I am not exactly sure of which step(s) fixed the issue so I will list all of the changes I made:

Under Network access, Service Binding, enabled service binding and removed all ticks from the unused interface, left everything ticked for the in-use interface.

Under Network & Virtual Switch, interfaces, click System Default Gateway, choose Select....... and set the fixed gateway to the inuse interface and failover as None.

Lastly I disabled IPv6 on the inuse adapter as I dont use it.

Then rebooted the NAS.

Hope this works for other people.

Cheers
Rich
csira
New here

Post by csira »

Hi, same problem here. Unfortunatly, any settings I tried on mu TS-251 just work for a few minutes or hours, and then it stop working again. Just re-applying the settings in the sharing / permission page usually make it working again. Also, if I want to edit permissions, I can't see the Domain group list anymore, but the Domain users list work just fine.
bike-discount
New here

Post by bike-discount »

Hi there.

Same problems here. Two TVS-863 devices randomly dropping out of the domain settings. Ticket opened since 2nd November, no answer. Remind me to never use a QNAP device again in a live enviroment for a company :-(
csira
New here

Post by csira »

Has anyone tried to downgrade back to 4.3.4? I though by now it would have been fixed
bike-discount
New here

Post by bike-discount »

Hey guys.

Just talked to the Qnap Hotline in Germany and a very nice guy told me that the problem is known and in the next firmware update it will be resolved. But best thing he told me is a work-around:

You need to connect to your system via SSH (putty or whatever) and then restart the Samba service. This will so the trick until you reboot the whole QNAP system

Here is the SSH command: /etc/init.d/smb.sh restart

Greetings from Germany
Drizztfire
Starting out

Post by Drizztfire »

Hi there,

Any news about this ? When it will be resolved or a more permanent workaroud ?

I have 1 custommer NAS that drop 2-3 times a day ...

I'm starting to think to downgrade ... what version would be safe ?

Thanks !
csira
New here

Post by csira »

bike-discount wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 am You need to connect to your system via SSH (putty or whatever) and then restart the Samba service. This will so the trick until you reboot the whole QNAP system

Thanks for the tip, but (at least for me) it only works for a few minutes/hours, like when you reboot the whole qnap unit.
Drizztfire
Starting out

Post by Drizztfire »

csira wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:42 pm
bike-discount wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 am You need to connect to your system via SSH (putty or whatever) and then restart the Samba service. This will so the trick until you reboot the whole QNAP system

Thanks for the tip, but (at least for me) it only works for a few minutes/hours, like when you reboot the whole qnap unit.
Same for me

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”