Samba 4 Domain

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Syscon1108
New here

Samba 4 Domain

Post by Syscon1108 »

I've joined my qnap TS-453BU-RP to my Debian controlled Samba4 domain and have domain authentication working from the NAS web-page, joining with CIFS through Linux, and when connecting from a non-domain connected windows 10 pro computer using domain credentials. However when I attempt to mount a NAS share from a domain computer running windows 7 pro I am continually prompted to log in. I only have the admin account configured in NAS local users all other users are domain users. I have rebooted both the NAS device and my test computer multiple times to no result. I have also tested on multiple domain connected computers,all windows 7, to the same effect.

I am not sure what my next troubleshooting steps should be. I have activated connection logging on the NAS and that gives me an incredibly helpful "Login Failed" message. Is there a way to view a more detailed connection log? Or is this a known issue between Samba4 and the QNAP firmware?
QNAP Device: TS-453BU-RP
Firmware Version: 4.3.5.0728 Build 20181013
Single Port Setup
Raid 5: 4 Drives: Seagate 3TB ST3000NM0005
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Samba 4 Domain

Post by storageman »

If you login to a Win7 PC with admin only permission (e.g. not a domain user), what happens when you attempt to connect to the NAS share?
Syscon1108
New here

Post by Syscon1108 »

Logging into the Local Admin account on the windows 7 pc and attempting to connect to the Nas device I am presented with a Logon prompt. If I enter my test domain credentials:
Username: Domain\User
Password: Password
into this prompt the NAS returns "Login Failure: unknown user or invalid password" and asks me to Re-enter the credentials.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

So Win7 issue only
Can you try this suggestion?
viewtopic.php?t=28122
Syscon1108
New here

Post by Syscon1108 »

Interesting. If I read that thread correctly I am having the opposite issue as described. I traditionally only connect by IP address but if I connect to the NAS unit by its Hostname then the credentials pass through correctly from a domain connected Win7 computer.

Confusing as it is I am happy that it is working. Ultimately it will be a seamless change to the end-users but something I am going to have to keep in mind for the future.

Thank you
QNAP Device: TS-453BU-RP
Firmware Version: 4.3.5.0728 Build 20181013
Single Port Setup
Raid 5: 4 Drives: Seagate 3TB ST3000NM0005

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”