[HELP] Some help for multimedia streaming setup

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
kiodos
Starting out

[HELP] Some help for multimedia streaming setup

Post by kiodos »

Hello everybody,

I am new here and I am just playing with my new TS-253Be from 2 weeks.

I am getting lost with all the settings, especially for multimedia. Is not clear in my mind the following problems:

- When we are talking about Airplay on the NAS, we means that the NAS streams a video content to an habilitated airplay-reader device (as Apple TV), right ? If I want to setup the QNAP as Airplay receiver (by using audio connection) instead of server, how can I do it ? The NAS couldn't be find into the devices list on my macbook audio/video settings for example.

- When I try to stream a movie (1080 .mkv h264) stocked in the NAS to a chromecast device attached to my TV, it only streams the video but not the audio, even if this one should be in the correct format h264. Am I obliged to transcode the movie or there is something I am missing ?

- Where I can find audio settings ? For example audio codecs/audio through the HDMI or jack, etc ?

Thank you!
Filippo
dolbyman
Guru

Re: [HELP] Some help for multimedia streaming setup

Post by dolbyman »

can't help with the apple stuff .. but when you stream video .. how are your streaming it ? DLNA ? if so what DLNA server ?
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

I use Video Station that manages movie copied in a NAS folder. From this app I find the list of output devices (i.e. HDMI out, audio out, etc) where I find my chromecast...I choose it and voilà it streams it , but without sound...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Video station has a lack of audio codec support (licensing issues) ... if that is the only way to "cast" your video to the chromecast , you might be SOL

DLNA or SMB streaming via KODI is easy and works great, apple TV and infuse has apparently also supporters here.

I did a quick google on how to do DLNA with Chromecast, but here was no clear answer

*edit* Plex would be an option
https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/blog/massive- ... ecast-app/
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

Ok thank you very much,
I know Kodi because I use it on a raspberry, no experience with Plex even if I see it is a common solution here.
I am still a bit confused about licensing...which codec I can use with Video Station ? Because if I switch to Plex I will be as well an issue on transcoding license until I don't buy Plex Pass

Filippo
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Plex is 3rd party so it comes with it's own codecs, video station is QNAP's own so they didn't license official codecs (too expensive?) but also couldn't go with open source (breach of terms when bundled in commercial application)
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

Ok the concerned movie was Dolby AC3 encoded, I suppose as you said Video Station cannot play it, a question:
- If i transcode it, I will have better chance or I will fall in the same lack of codec ?

Hope to understand the apple issue too...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if you transcode the audio to AAC or MP3 it should work .. try it
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

Hello, still need some support here...

One of the interesting feature of the TS-253Be was indeed the transcoding capability (both on the fly or batched previously)...as far I can understand there are several ways of transcoding:

- Hardware transcoding : done by CPU depending form its power and generation (for example Kaby Lake CPUs support natively transcoding to-from H265 allowing less CPU usage, anyway older generations support at least H264)
- Hardware accelerating : is for me unclear if this GPU accelerating feature adds to CPU transcoding or replaces it
- Software transcoding : algorithm are taken into account by a software and the CPU usage is normally heavier.

So, the TS-253Be has a Celeron J3455, quad-core 1.5 GHz Apollo-lake generation, supporting optimized hardware transcoding for H265, supporting hardware gpu acceleration of the Intel HD500 graphical chip and finally with a PassMark of 2140 enough for 720p and 1080p transcoding.
From the hardware point of view i would say check. :DD

From the software point of view, to the contrary, things become more complicate...
-
dolbyman wrote:Video station has a lack of audio codec support (licensing issues) ...
, i.e. does not play AC3 but support instantaneous transcoding -> can I add separately these codecs :?:
- MX Player (on Android) supports AC3 sound but not instantaneous transcoding (why?) :(
- Plex supports AC3 but you need to buy :? PlexPass for advanced features like hardware transcoding and remote streaming, is it what I am looking for, is it worthing the purchase ?

So, my practical problem: how can I setup my system in order to playback locally (from NAS HDMI) my 1080p movies and see remotely (over the internet on tablet or smartphone) transcoded movie (instantaneously better but if too demanding, also pre-transcoded) from any audio and video format (AC3, AAC, MP3...) ? :'
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well that is the question, QNAP does not supply any solid playback app for the NAS even tough it advertises 2k/4k capabilities

My current NAS does not support any direct video playback (8 year old 419p+ ARM powered). (I have a 951X inbound so I could at least test HD station in the future .. not really planning on using it)

- I use twonky server for DLNA / clients are KODI on compute sticks (intel m3) and my TV DLNA player (Samsung KS8000) works great (4K with HDR is no problem)
- I currently experiment with plex server, files are hosted on my NAS/ Plex server is running on a beefy windows10 machine / client is again my Samsung TV with plex app running .. works great (4K Great, haven't tested HDR yet)

Have you tried using kodi(on HD Station) for local watching ? Be careful with using video station for outside access, it has been recently used to infect NAS units with malware, so best to NEVER expose your NAS to the open internet)
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

I tried today to install Plex server on NAS and Plex client on QNAP Hybrid Station with a FullHD screen connected to HDMI...I played a 1080p AC3 without problem...
my question is when I am going to stream it in other formats, do you think I will need PlexPass ?

And yes, NAS connected to the outer internet is dangerous, but a part to establish a vpn or https connection I don't know to stream contents on my portable device, that is a big plus...
kiodos
Starting out

Post by kiodos »

dolbyman wrote: Have you tried using kodi(on HD Station) for local watching ? Be careful with using video station for outside access, it has been recently used to infect NAS units with malware, so best to NEVER expose your NAS to the open internet)
Yes I already used Kodi on another device, it is quite good as playback...still I don't know how it supports different codec and transcoding...

I am worried about security over internet direct connection...better prefer CloudLink or myQNAPCloud connections ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Kodi brings it's own codecs, so no worries here .. just install it from QNAP club (or father_mande)

for security a VPN is best

Return to “Media Streaming”