@Flotsch123
I'm sorry to hear that. :0(
--------------------------------
QNAP NAS TS-253B
321liftoff
Know my way around

Re: exfat license broken after firmware update

Post by 321liftoff »

When creating a backup job on an exFAT device, on the first screen where you select the external device "USBDisk1" for example, are the "File System" and "Volume ID" fields blank for you?

I created a ticket for this and QNAP contacted me, but came back saying that my device is not compatible with my NAS, referring to the compatibility list:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... category=4

I formatted the same device with FAT32 and NTFS and the "File System" and "Volume ID" fields were populated in the Backup job Wizard. The jobs also ran with FAT32 and NTFS, so this is an exFAT issue, not a device issue.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

321liftoff wrote:When creating a backup job on an exFAT device, on the first screen where you select the external device "USBDisk1" for example, are the "File System" and "Volume ID" fields blank for you?

I created a ticket for this and QNAP contacted me, but came back saying that my device is not compatible with my NAS, referring to the compatibility list:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... category=4

I formatted the same device with FAT32 and NTFS and the "File System" and "Volume ID" fields were populated in the Backup job Wizard. The jobs also ran with FAT32 and NTFS, so this is an exFAT issue, not a device issue.
Qnap support is wrong about that! You describe the exact same behaviour as i have to deal with. In an earlier post of mine in this thread, you see a Screenshot of the backup wizard, showing empty device ID and empty file system with an exfat USB disk.
As read in your post, qnap support says that your USB disk is not compatible and that is all. If that were true, i wonder why i had 4 or 5 backup Jobs on external exfat USB disks (3 different brands) running for 1 year or more without any issues, and after Firmware update to 4.3.5, these backup jobs stopped working without changing anything in Hardware or configuration.
Sorry, this explanation cannot convince me.

And still there is nobody around that can successfully create/run an "exfat-backup-job", at least in this forum.
Would be great if more exfat-license-owners could just do a quick test. Just to really proof the general character of this issue. I may be wrong, but evidence is more than high that this is caused by Firmware.
321liftoff
Know my way around

Post by 321liftoff »

Flotsch123 wrote:Qnap support is wrong about that! You describe the exact same behaviour as i have to deal with. In an earlier post of mine in this thread, you see a Screenshot of the backup wizard, showing empty device ID and empty file system with an exfat USB disk.
As read in your post, qnap support says that your USB disk is not compatible and that is all. If that were true, i wonder why i had 4 or 5 backup Jobs on external exfat USB disks (3 different brands) running for 1 year or more without any issues, and after Firmware update to 4.3.5, these backup jobs stopped working without changing anything in Hardware or configuration.
Agreed. Fortunately, my support ticket has been escalated. I suggest you submit help tickets regarding the same issue. I'll post any details as I get them.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

321liftoff wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:08 pm
Flotsch123 wrote:Qnap support is wrong about that! You describe the exact same behaviour as i have to deal with. In an earlier post of mine in this thread, you see a Screenshot of the backup wizard, showing empty device ID and empty file system with an exfat USB disk.
Agreed. Fortunately, my support ticket has been escalated. I suggest you submit help tickets regarding the same issue. I'll post any details as I get them.
i already have an open ticket on that. qnap wanted remote access to investigate; i did not wanted to allow unattended access to my networtk but suggested a teamviewer meeting. support has not responded on my suggestion, have not heard of them anymore since 2-3 weeks.

edit: just got email notifcation that new 4.3.5.0756 build 20181110 fw is out. i will update tonight at check if the issue is adressed/solved with this fw.

edit 2: from the changelog of the new fw:

"- The exFAT license could not function normally after users inserted an exFAT external drive and then restarted the NAS."

this is maybe the solution.
321liftoff
Know my way around

Post by 321liftoff »

Flotsch123 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm edit: just got email notifcation that new 4.3.5.0756 build 20181110 fw is out. i will update tonight at check if the issue is adressed/solved with this fw.

"- The exFAT license could not function normally after users inserted an exFAT external drive and then restarted the NAS."

I just updated my FW to this version and it did not fix the issue for me. Fortunate for me, the support tech did a teamviewer session. After that, screenshots of the issue were sent and it's been added to the bug tracker. They did not provide a timeline or an acknowledgement that the bug is repeatable on their end.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

321liftoff wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 pm
Flotsch123 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:41 pm edit: just got email notifcation that new 4.3.5.0756 build 20181110 fw is out. i will update tonight at check if the issue is adressed/solved with this fw.

I just updated my FW to this version and it did not fix the issue for me. Fortunate for me, the support tech did a teamviewer session. After that, screenshots of the issue were sent and it's been added to the bug tracker. They did not provide a timeline or an acknowledgement that the bug is repeatable on their end.
thank you for the information. F***, i really thought the new fw would solve this. i will upgrade anyway as i have other isssues too, that need to be solved hopefully.
at least qnap is now aware of the issue, so maybe they patch it within the next days/weeks.
dweller
Starting out

Post by dweller »

I have this exact same problem... backups to external Exfat formatted drives don't work anymore since upgrading firmware. Currently on 4.3.5.0760 Build 20181114

Cannot even create new backup "jobs" - I get "Job creation failed" error.

Was hoping there would be a fix on the forums instead looks like everyone is affected and Qnap has gone quiet :( :( :(
reknew
New here

Post by reknew »

I maintain a QNAP NAS for a client and his backup stopped working after the recent firmware update. Already has an exFAT license and but it will no longer backup. I tried formatting the external HD (WD MyBook 8TB) and I no longer see exFAT.

Tried license recovery but it says I already have it installed. Can't buy it again, already installed.

Model: TS-531P
Firmware: 4.3.5.0760 Build 20181114
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

reknew wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:11 am I maintain a QNAP NAS for a client and his backup stopped working after the recent firmware update. Already has an exFAT license and but it will no longer backup. I tried formatting the external HD (WD MyBook 8TB) and I no longer see exFAT.

Tried license recovery but it says I already have it installed. Can't buy it again, already installed.

Model: TS-531P
Firmware: 4.3.5.0760 Build 20181114
yeah, that is exactly the problem we all have. open a ticket with support so that they recognize that this is a general issue with the new fw.
321liftoff
Know my way around

Post by 321liftoff »

It seems to be working for me now. I see that a support tech logged into my NAS, updated Hybrid Backup Station to version 2.1.181106 and they were able to create a job successfully. Can you guys confirm that it's working for you, too with that update?
KentMajor
First post

Post by KentMajor »

I am new to QNAP NAS. Purchased exFAT license. Using Backup Station, consistently encountered Job Creation Failure when trying to backup to external USB drive. After reading post above, installed Hybrid Backup Sync, and it appears to be working fine, whereas regular Backup Station will not.

Return to “NAS Management”