Subinterface support with Vlan's

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Subinterface support with Vlan's

Post by schumaku »

mmoxnes wrote:Just a fun fact. Qnap had a pressrelease about pfsense from netgate. They will support using the qnap virtual station to run a firewall appliance. And still they haven solved the vlan issue. My pfsense that I have now has 15 vlan and without vlan support it can't be run on qnap
Wrong. pfSense does run in a.VM and has full control on dedicated ports. We're operating another vendor virtual security appliance on QTS Virtualization Station typically handling multiple VLANs per physical interface.
harx0rwax0r
New here

Post by harx0rwax0r »

The feature was supposed to be added in QTS 4.3 which was two years ago and the feature was initially requested in 2011.

I would really like to use this in my lab to solve a problem I have had since buying my two TVS-871 units.

Can we have an official update on this now seven year old request?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

harx0rwax0r wrote:Can we have an official update on this now seven year old request?
This is a user community forum and Qnap usually don't make any official announcements here so probably not.

If you want answers from Qnap you need to contact them.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
harx0rwax0r
New here

Post by harx0rwax0r »

P3R wrote:This is a user community forum and Qnap usually don't make any official announcements here so probably not.
Fair enough. I will submit a request there, too.

So to rephrase my question, is there ANY update, official or otherwise, if this is even in the pipeline or even being considered for implementation? I just wanted to know if I am holding on to false hopes of this ever becoming a thing.

Edit/Update: Meant to post this sooner but I asked via their ticketing system and support told me this feature addition was targeted for QTS 5.0 with no ETA of release. Not very helpful but if true, at least they haven't forgotten about this feature request.
alien2108
First post

Post by alien2108 »

That is a DISGRACE to QNAP. Integrating VLAN subinterface support is a matter of couple of lines. Pure greed. They want you to buy bigger boxes with multiple interfaces. SHAME ON YOU!
adam_jannetta
New here

Post by adam_jannetta »

Original poster still here 8 years later. Nice to see all the support for this. Does anyone with a newer model QNAP know if this was implemented in the latest QTS 4.3+?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

adam_jannetta wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 pm Does anyone with a newer model QNAP know if this was implemented in the latest QTS 4.3+?
I haven't seen it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Features Wanted”