Snapshot Replica fails after remote vault reaches X snapshots

Discussion on remote replication.
cerealkiller83
New here

Snapshot Replica fails after remote vault reaches X snapshots

Post by cerealkiller83 »

Hello,

maybe someone could help with this...

I have 2 TVS-871U-RP and there's a volume on the primary nas that I want to protect by taking snapshots daily and replicate them over to the secondary nas.
So n the first nas I've configured a schedule to take snapshots of the volume daily and to keep each snapshot for one day, so that locally it storesa the latest snapshot only.
Then I've set a snapshot replica job that everytime a new snapshot is taken, it is also copied over to the secondary nas and it should keep the latest 7 snapshots in vault.
This worked for the first 7 days but then I've noticed that once there are 7 snapshots replicated on the secondary nas, the primary nas keeps taking new snapshots daily but the snapshot replica job fails until I manually delete snapshots on the secondary nas snapshot vault.

I thought the snapshot replica job was supposed keep replicating new jobs and keep the latest 7 by deleting the old ones....

thanks in advance to anyone who can help
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Snapshot Replica fails after remote vault reaches X snapshots

Post by storageman »

You should not need to delete the snapshots on the DR site, it should be a rolling 7 only.
I assume you've done the obvious thing to check the space on the remote NAS.
I assume you set the number of copies in snapshot replica to 7.

Screenshots would be useful of the replica backup plan and the local snapshot schedule/expiry info.
cerealkiller83
New here

Post by cerealkiller83 »

Looks like it resolved by updating to the latest release. Sincerely I did not think it needed to be update since there was no mention to this issue in the release notes... however it works fine now.
mikelacaria
New here

Post by mikelacaria »

I have similar setup, using one NAS only for backups of snapshots. My NAS was working fine for months, then last month it started reporting disk full. Ive had support look at this for almost a month and they can't figure it out, they remote analyzed twice etc, all settings OK; will get back to you is the response (over two weeks since last heard from them). I just upgraded the snapshot NAS to latest firmware but still same problem. I have to delete the whole set of backups and start over. I bought this because of their disaster recovery marketing etc., clearly they don't seem to care about resolving such an important feature like backing up your important data. You say yours is working now, I would keep an eye and see if with time you run into the same problem again. For me this is becoming too unreliable to rely on their systems for critical backups and I invested a lot of money in these machines.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”