Migrating from RAID1 to RAID5 without losing any data

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Re: Migrating from RAID1 to RAID5 without losing any data

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

It's easier still for you all to just pass by the questions that offend your sensibilities than to take the time to shame people for not reading the manual first. You're not changing anything for the better with your comments, the vast majority of people who make those posts are here for the first time and haven't read the many other posts where you've said the same thing (referring to the "RTFM" posts, not the last time you answered their question because one begets the other right?). The negative atmosphere then pushes them right back out so there isn't even a benefit to each individual recipient of those dressings down. It's really nothing more than virtue signaling, "you are lazy/incompetent/leeching/flawed of character/whatever because you didn't read the manual first." I hate the term "toxic" but this place qualifies for it.

I have no illusions of changing the culture around here and evidently QNAP is an absentee landlord but I'll keep helping where I can.
piizei
New here

Post by piizei »

Gotta agree with this 100%.

When I spend my time on any online community I tend to try help with topics that a) I have useful input for b) actually interest me. Someone who complains that people, who don't read the manuals in enough detail and ask silly question, waste their time and then proceed to waste everybody's time by writing arrogant RTFM -comments defines irony.

Working in tech industry and having written several manuals myself I do spot ambiguous instructions when I see them. In these instances it is often more efficient to ask for peer support than trying to decipher the manual. If there is no friendly peer support then it's another problem. In cases where manuals clearly provide the best and clearest support and you want to point it out, maybe at least give direct link into the topic.

Most tech related communities nowadays are great. I can't even remember the last time where asking semi educated questions brought so negative welcome. It's up to forum members whether you want to be seen as helpful and supportive or negative and condescending.

Either way, big thanks for all the people who actually helped with this topic!

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:57 am It's easier still for you all to just pass by the questions that offend your sensibilities than to take the time to shame people for not reading the manual first. You're not changing anything for the better with your comments, the vast majority of people who make those posts are here for the first time and haven't read the many other posts where you've said the same thing (referring to the "RTFM" posts, not the last time you answered their question because one begets the other right?). The negative atmosphere then pushes them right back out so there isn't even a benefit to each individual recipient of those dressings down. It's really nothing more than virtue signaling, "you are lazy/incompetent/leeching/flawed of character/whatever because you didn't read the manual first." I hate the term "toxic" but this place qualifies for it.

I have no illusions of changing the culture around here and evidently QNAP is an absentee landlord but I'll keep helping where I can.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

piizei wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm Gotta agree with this 100%.

When I spend my time on any online community I tend to try help with topics that a) I have useful input for b) actually interest me. Someone who complains that people, who don't read the manuals in enough detail and ask silly question, waste their time and then proceed to waste everybody's time by writing arrogant RTFM -comments defines irony.

Working in tech industry and having written several manuals myself I do spot ambiguous instructions when I see them. In these instances it is often more efficient to ask for peer support than trying to decipher the manual. If there is no friendly peer support then it's another problem. In cases where manuals clearly provide the best and clearest support and you want to point it out, maybe at least give direct link into the topic.

Most tech related communities nowadays are great. I can't even remember the last time where asking semi educated questions brought so negative welcome. It's up to forum members whether you want to be seen as helpful and supportive or negative and condescending.

Either way, big thanks for all the people who actually helped with this topic!
Spot on!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

piizei wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm
Working in tech industry and having written several manuals myself I do spot ambiguous instructions when I see them.
Well then how do you feel if your hard work is completely ignored? It was already mentioned .. if there is unclear portions of the manual (and there are quite a few .. granted) point them out and ask a specific question.

Not reading the manual at all and requesting spoon feeding a step by step rewrite of what is already in the manual, you do it once .. you might do it 50 times .. I guarantee it , the 51st time you will start to get an eye twitch :shock:
(unless you are a paid helpdesk support worker ... but 90%+ of helpdesk answers consist of canned replies)
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

dolbyman wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:36 am
Well then how do you feel if your hard work is completely ignored? It was already mentioned .. if there is unclear portions of the manual (and there are quite a few .. granted) point them out and ask a specific question.

Not reading the manual at all and requesting spoon feeding a step by step rewrite of what is already in the manual, you do it once .. you might do it 50 times .. I guarantee it , the 51st time you will start to get an eye twitch :shock:
(unless you are a paid helpdesk support worker ... but 90%+ of helpdesk answers consist of canned replies)

I know the question wasn't posed to me but I'll answer. If a stranger hasn't read something I've written in the past and asks a question about the topic I feel nothing about it. It doesn't matter.

If I'm willing I'll answer again, if I'm not I'll just move on to the next thing.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”