Setting up QNAP TS-453Be with just 1 HD to start.

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Setting up QNAP TS-453Be with just 1 HD to start.

Post by moctodpanq »

Hey Guys,

Is it possible to set up the TS-453Be with just 1 hard drive to begin, and then add more hard drives as I need it without losing data on the first drive? If this is possible, can you tell me the settings? I figure the most obvious answer is JBOD where each HD will have its own letter, but is it possible to set it up as just 1 letter, and when I add a 2nd hard drive, combine it with that letter, but still retain my data? In my experience, that won't work. Everything will need to be reformatted. And I know people will use a spare drive to transfer the data, then transfer it back, but I'm wondering if there are new developments I'm not aware of that can accomplish this without having to use a spare drive.

Thank you in advance!
Don
Guru

Re: Setting up QNAP TS-453Be with just 1 HD to start.

Post by Don »

First this is Linux and not windows so there are no drive letters. Second you should be using RAID if you value your data. I would start with 2 drives in RAID 1 and as you run low on space you can add a third drive and migrate to RAID 5. Then you can add a fourth drive and expand the array. All drives need to be the same size.

Migration and expansion procedures are documented in the manual.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Okay guys, what if the data doesn't matter? This is for movies, and my heart won't break if I lose movies. I do do back-ups for family photos and videos, but this qnap won't serve that purpose. Is what I inquired about in my original post possible then? Please advise.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yes..you can create single volumes on single drives

be advised if the first disk dies, you need to reinstall all apps and recreate default system shares

a raid1+ would not have this issue
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Is it also possible to simultaneously use it as a stand alone Plex server, but also attach it to a pc and have the plex server on the pc serve the movies? So that when I watch a movie I have two choices:

A. Call for the plex server on the Qnap and use it as stand alone.
or
B. Call for the plex server on my PC and have it serve movies from the Qnap.

Are there any rules such as once you install Plex in Qnap, it could not longer be used as external hard drive for Plex server on PC. Any such rules?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no such rule ...I am currently doing exactly that

Comparing performance of plex on nas vs pc

(with the lack of plexpass, my NUC wins hands down)
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

It can’t be used as an external drive. It is a NAS and not a DAS. It is always accessed via the network.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I didn't read it as DAS..just as "external" mounted drive (mapping)
But maybe that was just my brain ..good to mention it
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

Hey Guys, I didn't realize a NAS doesn't have the USB option to be connected to a computer so that the computer can see it as an external hard drive hub. So if I'm using my computer as my plex server, which of the following will provide better performance?

A. Plex server on PC serving movie from an external hard drive or hub.
or
B. Plex server on PC serving movie from the Qnap.

I'm a newbie with NAS, and for some reason I've always assumed they were external hubs with NAS function built in. But I'm learning this is not the case. This may change my plan on what to use my Qnap for. I have family remotely sharing my plex collection, and thus far, my pc has been great serving movies from an external hard drive. I got this Qnap thinking maybe I can take out two birds with one stone. Meaning, during times when I see multiple members viewing my movies from the Plex on my pc, I can just use the Plex App in the Qnap as a stand alone server for viewing in the house. So the PC doesn't have to work as hard. But now I'm wondering if my family will get poorer performance since the plex on the pc will no longer grabbing movies from a connected hard drive, but from a network qnap.

Is this a valid concern?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

depends on the amount of movies streamed and your network environment

I have a 419p+ serving movies via a Hades Canyon NUC (Plex) and a 951X serving Plex via builtin server. Both work fine.

NAS and QNAP units are connected via 1 GBE
moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

All right! Just gotta get your feet wet I guess. BTW, any recommendation on Static Volume, Multi thick, multi thin? It was tough enough reading up on all the Raid configurations, then during the set-up, I realize I had to choose static, thin, thick, etc. and I'm a bit confused how they correlate to the raid settings.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

to make it easy use single thick (if you still want snapshot or block ISCSI LUN options) or single static

manage content via shares, makes administration much easier
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Run PLEX on the NAS with your library also on the NAS.

moctodpanq
Know my way around

Post by moctodpanq »

I just created a storage pool, raid 5. It's doing something called syncronizing right now. 17 hrs remaining. Is this right? Did I do anything wrong? Dang, I didn't know set-up would take a whole day before you can use it.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Yes that is normal. You can use it now.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”