RTRR sync problems having similar data on both locations

Discussion on remote replication.
Maurice84
Starting out

RTRR sync problems having similar data on both locations

Post by Maurice84 »

I was wondering how I can tackle the following problem:

I have 2 QNAP NAS devices op separate locations, both locations have a 200Mbit download and 20Mbit upload connection and are connected using a daily one-way RTRR sync as a back-up. I recently downloaded a large amount of data (500GB+), but this takes ages to upload. What I did was download the same content on both NAS devices at the same file-location and let RTRR sync the metadata as the file-contents are the same. But somehow the RTRR sync takes a long time (days) and keeps getting timed out and has difficulties replicating.

App Name: Hybrid Backup Sync
Category: Job Status
Message: [Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "Games". Connection timed out. Check connection to device. Error code: -62

I only have the options enabled: Delete extra files, Filter system-generated temporary files, Do not take a snapshot for this job. But I think the RTRR sync tries to overwrite or check the files instead of only copying the metadata.

Is there a way to manual copy the metadata from one NAS to the other so the RTRR sync is much faster and completes the sync in a few minutes? I'm used to do something similar in Windows when several locations are connected using DFS and if a location was out of sync and the data has been manual copied I could use Robocopy with arguments to have metadata quickly fixed, thus fixing the sync.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: RTRR sync problems having similar data on both locations

Post by storageman »

Turn off "check contents" if it's on.
Maurice84
Starting out

Post by Maurice84 »

That option is not activated, so I don't understand this behavior what I'm seeing.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

If the user rights have changed and they don't exist on the destination NAS then this might cause performance issues.

Obviously if the underlying data has changed then that's another story.

Do both NAS have the same user list?
Try a test with just a few files and multiple job runs to see what is happening.

Also are you using versioning? This can impact performance.

Remember RTRR works off date/time stamp and size. If these are big files with minor changes you may be better using RSYNC.
Maurice84
Starting out

Post by Maurice84 »

Thank you for your reply, Yes, both have the same users and I'm not using versioning. But somehow the sync managed to successful sync in the last days so the problem is thankfully gone :) I'll try rsync the next time happens. The topic can be closed.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”