Can I migrate from thin volume to thick

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
alrosot
New here

Re: Can I migrate from thin volume to thick

Post by alrosot »

Hello,

I'm under version 4.3.6 and although I can see the option to convert from thick to thin in one of my volumes, another thin volume does not have the option to convert it to thick.
That thin volume holds the NAS System. Would someone know if that is what is preventing the volume to be converted?

Thank you.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

alrosot wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:48 pm Hello,

I'm under version 4.3.6 and although I can see the option to convert from thick to thin in one of my volumes, another thin volume does not have the option to convert it to thick.
That thin volume holds the NAS System. Would someone know if that is what is preventing the volume to be converted?

Thank you.
Screenshot of Storage Manager would help.

Nope, nothing in docs about not possible on (system) volume.

Don't try any conversion without backup!
alrosot
New here

Post by alrosot »

Sure, glad to provide a screenshot. It is attached.
There is no error or grayed option. It is simply not there.
And very interestingly, on the thick volume the same menu shows "Convert to Thin Volume"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Can you create another small thin volume and see what that says?
Once again lack of Qnap documentation/white papers disgraceful, looks like they've decided videos are the best they can manage these days.
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

alrosot wrote:Hello,

Thank you.
That is most likely due to what QTS version the volume was originally created under (I.e. what version of qts did you build the system on).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Trexx wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 pm
alrosot wrote:Hello,

Thank you.
That is most likely due to what QTS version the volume was originally created under (I.e. what version of qts did you build the system on).

Hence why I asked to create a test thin vol.

But where is this documented???

And why no message "this volume was created with bla bla and cannot be converted"??? - Would be useful!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

storageman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm
Trexx wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:22 pm That is most likely due to what QTS version the volume was originally created under (I.e. what version of qts did you build the system on).

Hence why I asked to create a test thin vol.

But where is this documented???

And why no message "this volume was created with bla bla and cannot be converted"??? - Would be useful!
I don't disagree with you on that. Thick to thin was introduce in QTS 4.3.4 and thick to thin in 4.3.5. My guess (as they don't specifically mention it on the slides) is that the volume had to be created with QTS 4.3.4 (maybe .3) or later.

It is discussed in this presentation.
https://live.qnap.com/en/video/show/1070

I know there was a similar type requirement when in-place QTier migration was released as well that the volume had to have been created with a certain QTS version or newer for the feature to be enabled.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

The big change was 4.2.x. I would say any thick or thin from then onwards should be convertible. What's the significance of 4.3.4?

Anyway we're just guessing.

Perhaps Qnap are too busy playing with their new AI box to spare the time for useful white papers and user manual updates. :?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

alrosot, you left the community hanging. Did you try the test???
alrosot
New here

Post by alrosot »

Apologies, I did the test just now (screenshot attached again)
And in the brand new volume I can convert from thin to thick.
So the issue might be related to the time the volume was originally created, as suggested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teh_niemer
Starting out

Post by teh_niemer »

I don't think it's related to the firmware version the volume was created in, I have volumes that were created in 4.3.6 and the thin volume that the system occupies can not be converted to thick, just like what alrosot is experiencing.
jmelquist
New here

Post by jmelquist »

the 52.7% is a known, but mostly unavoidable thing. There are N steps to a particular process; Step 1 = 10%, step 2=18%, step 3=52.7%, etc... step n=100%. Sadly, step #3 takes 95% of the time and that's why it seems "stuck". This behavior is seen in many places in the QNAP and other systems when reporting progress, usually when the operation is calling other OS commands and it has no window into their progress. e.g. I've been shrinking a volume and it's been on 52.7% now for about 3hrs. This isn't an answer, just reassurance, that the job is probably still progressing.
atelier522
Starting out

Post by atelier522 »

jmelquist wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:20 am the 52.7% is a known, but mostly unavoidable thing. There are N steps to a particular process; Step 1 = 10%, step 2=18%, step 3=52.7%, etc... step n=100%. Sadly, step #3 takes 95% of the time and that's why it seems "stuck".
Are the 95% a more or less "precise" statement? I started the process of shrinking our thick volume, been "stuck" at 52.7% and if your calculation would be correct, I´m having just about 1 hour left before colleagues arrive at work.

Otherwise I´d have to delete everything ( :-0 Naaaah!) and copy all over from backup which takes 1.5 days ( :| not better).
Could transfer needed directories first, but that's a lot dull work to do … :(
mjl
Getting the hang of things

Post by mjl »

alrosot wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 pm Apologies, I did the test just now (screenshot attached again)
And in the brand new volume I can convert from thin to thick.
So the issue might be related to the time the volume was originally created, as suggested.
Pitty no one can answer your problem, I encounter the same, No way to convert to thick volume.

What I noticed in your screenshot is that the icon in front is like a blue lock, and the other a green check mark, is the volume you cannot convert encrypted and may that be the reason you cannot convert?

I ran into the problem that the thin volume ran out of capacity. By shrinking the volume this helped (there was actually enough space in de pool weird enough). I also have this blue icon in front of the thin volume...

I also read that encryption cannot be removed unless you wipe the volume, which I cannot do as I have no way to backup all the data. Which leaves me with a thin volume that is like 16TB big, on a pool of 18 but I cannot make the thin volume bigger as this causes the system to make it read only due to storage shortage... I have only 1 volume, should have opted for a thick volume to begin with (though qnap recommends thin when using snapshots).
NAS Model: TS-873 FW: 4.4.1.x
Pool 1 (HDD): [RAID-5+SPARE] 7 x 4TB WD SE
Pool 2 (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 500GB WD Blue m.2's
RAM: 64GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti, Single Slot, 4GB
Network: 1x standard 1GB ETH + Intel 10GB ETH expansion (single port)
UPS: APC Back-UPS ES-700G

Backup 1: 2x USB 3.0 WD 4TB (alternating monthly backup of important data, most recent @2nd location)
Backup 2: NAS Model: TS-109Pro - 2 TB Backup @3rd location.
Backup 3: 2TB Stack storage for backup (4th location)

Cloud syncs: OneDrive & Dropbox

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”