Raid 5 group won't mount

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
seppaleinen
New here

Raid 5 group won't mount

Post by seppaleinen »

Hello!
I've been having some problems recently, trying to migrate from raid 1, to 3 drives running on raid 5.
The migration succeeded after a long while, but then after adding a new drive to the qnap, (which was previously mounted and used as a backup of the raid 1 data, and put aside during the migration)
the three drives won't mount anymore.

My nas is TS-459, with firmware 4.2.6
The drives that I'm using are:
Drive 1: Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NAAR17 7452.04GB
Drive 2: Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NAAR17 7452.04GB
Drive 3: Seagate ST8000VN0022-2ELSC61 7452.04GB
Drive 4: Seagate ST8000VN0022-2ELSC61 7452.04GB (Currently removed)

I'm currently running a bad blocks scanning on the three drives. Unsure of how long that will take...
Also, the three drives don't actually contain anything right now, as I deleted everything before migrating.
So if there's an quick & easy way, that deletes everything that would be alright :)

I'm thankful for all the help I can get, and if there's any more information that you want me to get, I'll try and get it as soon as I can!

Kind regards
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Raid 5 group won't mount

Post by storageman »

Ah, just use reinitialise in CP. Deletes everything so you can start again.
seppaleinen
New here

Post by seppaleinen »

That sounds promising, but I'm not sure what you mean?
What's CP, and how would I go about doing that?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

seppaleinen wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 pm My nas is TS-459, with firmware 4.2.6
That's an older (CAT1) NAS that support migration or expansion up to a volume size of 16 TB but never anything larger. If you want a larger volume, you need to set it up that way from scratch and never migrate or expand it.
The drives that I'm using are:
Drive 1: Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NAAR17 7452.04GB
Drive 2: Seagate ST8000AS0002-1NAAR17 7452.04GB
Seagate Archive SMR disks are not recommended for NAS/RAID use:
There is also a fundamental limitation with either approach when considering traditional software or hardware RAID configurations, as SMR drives generally speaking should not be used in that way.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

P3R wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:10 am Seagate Archive SMR disks are not recommended for NAS/RAID use:
Agree. I've got one, and it's pretty slow when writing. :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
seppaleinen
New here

Post by seppaleinen »

@P3R:
I guessed that the nas and the drives were kind of old and/or wrong.
It's good to know about it not supporting migrations over 16TB, but I'm hoping to not need any more than 13 for a couple of years :)

So from the responses, I figure that doing a reinitialization and setting the raid 5 anew from scratch is the way to go. Through the web gui, in the Control Panel - Backup / Restore page?
I'll do that later when I come back home then!
seppaleinen
New here

Post by seppaleinen »

I've run the reinitialization, and it's successfully completed.
Just waiting for the synchronization to complete as well, which seems to be taking some time.

Before all the raid 5 configurations, I used an internal drive as a backup, which I disconnected later (as to not inadvertently delete any of the data).
From what I've understood from other posts here, this is not the recommended way to go.
Is there any chance of reconnecting the drive and readding the backed up data onto the raid 5 group?

If so, is it anything I need to do, or is it just to readd the drive to my nas?

Thanks again for all your help

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”