TS-228A - long first installation time

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
PanGolan
New here

TS-228A - long first installation time

Post by PanGolan »

All,

I have just purchased a TS-228A and started configuring it. Once connected to the internet and mounted HDD inside (WD Blue 1 TB) I downloaded Qfinder so as to started the whole process. The HDD led is solid green, the power button is flashing green quite fast (I suppose every 0,5s) and LAN indicator also flashes irregularly.

I started configuration process and know the bar shows 100% but nothing happens. Only "The system is being configured. Do NOT power off the NAS or unplug the hard drive(s)." is shown and the little cirle is running. Now it is like 1,5 hrs.

How long should it take? Should I switch it off and take the HDD out and install the firmware separately and then mount the HDD?

Thanks for the answers.
Blackbar7
Know my way around

Re: TS-228A - long first installation time

Post by Blackbar7 »

PanGolan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm Once connected to the internet and mounted HDD inside (WD Blue 1 TB)
:roll: :roll: :roll: Why?? This hd is not recommended.
TS-253 8Gb Pro with QTS 4.4.1.0978 build 20190627 Public Beta
TS-131 1Gb with QTS 4.4.1.0978 Build 20190627 Public Beta
Both drives are equiped with WD-RED drives.
Affordable seedbox > https://panel.seedbox.io/aff.php?aff=641
PanGolan
New here

Post by PanGolan »

Blackbar7 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 pm
PanGolan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:47 pm Once connected to the internet and mounted HDD inside (WD Blue 1 TB)
Yes, it is not on RECOMMENDED LIST but on the other hand it is not on NOT RECOMMENDED LIST. I have friends with Blue-series HDDs in their QNAPs. Is it possible the HDD is the only problem? Even if the LED is solid green, which means the drive can be accessed?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

PanGolan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 pm
Blackbar7 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 pm
Yes, it is not on RECOMMENDED LIST but on the other hand it is not on NOT RECOMMENDED LIST. I have friends with Blue-series HDDs in their QNAPs. Is it possible the HDD is the only problem? Even if the LED is solid green, which means the drive can be accessed?
Correct, but it does mean Qnap won't troubleshoot any issues.
In contrast our friends Synology do have lists of what failed testing.
Long argued should be compatible/incompatible list if anything fails testing.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

You might want to wipe the partition table on the HDD and retry. Under some conditions, the ARM based units fail to destroy an existing partition table.
chips000
New here

Post by chips000 »

Hi All,

PanGolan did you get your NAS working?

I too have had a TS-228 initializing for a day! it was stuck on the update screen and I switched it off!! ( only after several hours) now it cannot be found on any of the install/initilize utilities. The drive has two Mountain lion 2TB disks and at the moment the "help" the installation is suggesting is that I should check that the NAS is on the same subnet mask as the computer which I have ( and it is)

I have tried to connect to computer directly, pressed reset button and held for 10 sec , but all to no avail. The LAN indicator just flashes, both disk lights are steady green and the status light flashes green.

should I do anything else??

Thanks for any replys.

cheers
Chips
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

chips000 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am The drive has two Mountain lion 2TB disks
what does that mean ?
chips000
New here

Post by chips000 »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:28 am
chips000 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am The drive has two Mountain lion 2TB disks
what does that mean ?
lol, too late for me - I should have said the drive bays have two 2Tb seagate Ironwolf drives installed ( not mountain lion!!)

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”