809Pro - RAID decided to "Unmount" randomly (How to Fix?)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Re: 809Pro - RAID decided to "Unmount" randomly (How to Fix?)

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 am
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

Ok, I will wait for confirmation after my post above of the results so I don't mess anything up further!

Many thanks, cheers!

CaptainCanuck
Looks like that filesystem is toast. It's sometimes possible to recover superblock data but at this point we don't even really know what filesystem that started as (and some more experienced users implied that old hardware did some non-standard stuff). If I were in your shoes I'd be writing it off and starting over from backups now.
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:17 am
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:20 am
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

Ok, I will wait for confirmation after my post above of the results so I don't mess anything up further!

Many thanks, cheers!

CaptainCanuck
Looks like that filesystem is toast. It's sometimes possible to recover superblock data but at this point we don't even really know what filesystem that started as (and some more experienced users implied that old hardware did some non-standard stuff). If I were in your ** I'd be writing it off and starting over from backups now.
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

:shock:
Ouch!
Is that a common thing to happen?
A file system to just 'disappear' when the QNAP was running merrily along with no warning signs? Just a 'BEEP" and all is lost?
-- or did my commands/arguments from my ill-advised 'fixes' toast the file system?

Re: the filesystem? All of my devices were setup the same... would looking at my other 809Pro give us a hint as to the file system on the bad one?

Re: starting from backups... I'm only about halfway through a move (just moved back here at the beginning of December) so the backups are in a different country... on a different continent! We weren't scheduled to return and pick up the rest of our stuff that we don't sell until the end of March. :? (I couldn't bring everything back in one trip without risking damage to some of the components.)

I really would like to get access now, if at all possible... so I'm up for trying anything and everything!

Many thanks!

CaptainCanuck
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:03 am Hi Thisisnotmyname,

:shock:
Ouch!
Is that a common thing to happen?
A file system to just 'disappear' when the QNAP was running merrily along with no warning signs? Just a 'BEEP" and all is lost?
-- or did my commands/arguments from my ill-advised 'fixes' toast the file system?

Re: the filesystem? All of my devices were setup the same... would looking at my other 809Pro give us a hint as to the file system on the bad one?

Re: starting from backups... I'm only about halfway through a move (just moved back here at the beginning of December) so the backups are in a different country... on a different continent! We weren't scheduled to return and pick up the rest of our stuff that we don't sell until the end of March. :? (I couldn't bring everything back in one trip without risking damage to some of the components.)

I really would like to get access now, if at all possible... so I'm up for trying anything and everything!

Many thanks!

CaptainCanuck
We'll probably never know what did it specifically but my bet would be on running disk utilities against it semi-randomly; I'm sure I don't have to tell you now that wasn't a good idea ;-)

Trying to fix things from this stage will get pretty ugly and complex. Iterating through it via a forum may take until March :-P

I guess lets start by getting more details about the (presumably) extX filesystem on that thing. Try this...

mke2fs -n /dev/md0

then post the results here.
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:53 am We'll probably never know what did it specifically but my bet would be on running disk utilities against it semi-randomly; I'm sure I don't have to tell you now that wasn't a good idea ;-)

Trying to fix things from this stage will get pretty ugly and complex. Iterating through it via a forum may take until March :-P

I guess lets start by getting more details about the (presumably) extX filesystem on that thing. Try this...

mke2fs -n /dev/md0

then post the results here.
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

lol
Yes, I was taking Hydromorphone for a back injury and that stuff messes you up! At the time, I thought I was diligently following directions to solve my problem.... :roll: Once I was on reduced meds, my.... 'decisions'... looked quite different! :ashamed: :shock:

When I run:

mke2fs -n /dev/md0

My results were:

mke2fs 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or
partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot
to re-read your partition table.

Thanks, Cheers!

CaptainCanuck
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

EDIT: (just noticed I lost this part in the post above after a bad copy/paste)

After a reboot, when I ran:

mke2fs -n /dev/md0

I received this result:

mke2fs: Size of device /dev/md0 too big to be expressed in 32 bits
using a blocksize of 4096.

Thanks, cheers!

CaptainCanuck
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 am
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

lol
Yes, I was taking Hydromorphone for a back injury and that stuff messes you up! At the time, I thought I was diligently following directions to solve my problem.... :roll: Once I was on reduced meds, my.... 'decisions'... looked quite different! :ashamed: :shock:

When I run:

mke2fs -n /dev/md0

My results were:

mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or
partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to
a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot
to re-read your partition table.

Thanks, Cheers!

CaptainCanuck

huh. Well if we can't even get superblock locations I don't know how we could go any further. I'm out of ideas.

I'm making a lot of assumptions though too and as was pointed out this system is pretty old so maybe it was initially set up different from what I'm expecting. Unless someone else has an idea I think you may be stuck waiting for March.
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am huh. Well if we can't even get superblock locations I don't know how we could go any further. I'm out of ideas.

I'm making a lot of assumptions though too and as was pointed out this system is pretty old so maybe it was initially set up different from what I'm expecting. Unless someone else has an idea I think you may be stuck waiting for March.
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

Did you see my 'Edit" to that info you quoted? It was lost in my first post due to a bad copy/paste.

After a reboot, when I ran:

mke2fs -n /dev/md0

I received this result:

mke2fs: Size of device /dev/md0 too big to be expressed in 32 bits
using a blocksize of 4096.

Is this what you needed?

Thanks, cheers!

CaptainCanuck
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

unfortunately no, I was looking for superblock locations.
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 pm unfortunately no, I was looking for superblock locations.
Hi Thisisnotmyname,

Does running something like this:

getcfg system version
df -h
cat /proc/mdstat
hdparm -i /dev/sd[a-h] 2>/dev/null | grep Model

To get this:

~] # getcfg system version
[~] # getcfg system version
[~] # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/ram0 139.5M 113.6M 25.9M 81% /
tmpfs 64.0M 176.0k 63.8M 0% /tmp
tmpfs 999.6M 0 999.6M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda4 371.0M 236.8M 134.2M 64% /mnt/ext
/dev/md9 509.5M 151.1M 358.3M 30% /mnt/HDA_ROOT
tmpfs 32.0M 0 32.0M 0% /.eaccelerator.tmp
[~] # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [multi path]
md0 : active raid6 sda3[0] sdh3[7](S) sdg3[6] sdf3[5] sde3[4] sdd3[3] sdc3[2] sd b3[1]
19527247680 blocks super 1.0 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [7 /7] [UUUUUUU]
bitmap: 0/8 pages [0KB], 262144KB chunk

md8 : active raid1 sdh2[2](S) sdg2[3](S) sdf2[4](S) sde2[5](S) sdd2[6](S) sdc2[7 ](S) sdb2[1] sda2[0]
530048 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md13 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdh4[7] sdg4[6] sdf4[5] sde4[4] sdd4[3] sdc4[2] sdb4 [1]
458880 blocks [8/8] [UUUUUUUU]
bitmap: 0/57 pages [0KB], 4KB chunk

md9 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdh1[7] sdg1[6] sde1[5] sdf1[4] sdd1[3] sdc1[2] sdb1[ 1]
530048 blocks [8/8] [UUUUUUUU]
bitmap: 0/65 pages [0KB], 4KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
[~] # hdparm -i /dev/sd[a-h] 2>/dev/null | grep Model

Help at all?

Many thanks, cheers!

CaptainCanuck
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Addendum

For this part from above:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [multi path]
md0 : active raid6 sda3[0] sdh3[7](S) sdg3[6] sdf3[5] sde3[4] sdd3[3] sdc3[2] sd b3[1]
19527247680 blocks super 1.0 level 6, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [7 /7] [UUUUUUU]
bitmap: 0/8 pages [0KB], 262144KB chunk

Many thanks, cheers!

Captain Canuck
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

nope, doesn't have the data I was looking for.
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:23 am
huh. Well if we can't even get superblock locations I don't know how we could go any further. I'm out of ideas.

Hi Thatisnotmyname,

Ok, thanks very much!

Hopefully someobody else will be able to chime in with something!

--or maybe someone can direct me to someone or someplace that could sort it out for me ? March is too far away for me to be able to rebuild from the back-up... (I guess because it's out of warranty QNAP won't be able to help?)

Many thanks, cheers!!

CaptainCanuck
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

CaptainCanuck wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 am --or maybe someone can direct me to someone or someplace that could sort it out for me ? March is too far away for me to be able to rebuild from the back-up... (I guess because it's out of warranty QNAP won't be able to help?)
Qnap offer free technical support also on older systems. Your TS-809 Pro should be supported at least until 2020-12 according to the Qnap product support status page.

If it's possible to recover your system, Qnap support should be able to help you.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
CaptainCanuck
Starting out

Post by CaptainCanuck »

P3R wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm
CaptainCanuck wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 am --or maybe someone can direct me to someone or someplace that could sort it out for me ? March is too far away for me to be able to rebuild from the back-up... (I guess because it's out of warranty QNAP won't be able to help?)
Qnap offer free technical support also on older systems. Your TS-809 Pro should be supported at least until 2020-12 according to the Qnap product support status page.

If it's possible to recover your system, Qnap support should be able to help you.
Hi P3R,

Sorry for the late reply, that's excellent news! Thank you!

I'll contact them and hopefully I can find a resolution!

Many thanks everyone for your help, cheers!

CaptainCanuck

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”