QVR Pro Cam Setup: ONVIF Vs Specific Model?

QVR Pro, QVR Pro Client, QVR Center and Surveillance Station
wmconey@gmail.com
Starting out

QVR Pro Cam Setup: ONVIF Vs Specific Model?

Post by wmconey@gmail.com »

Is there any advantage to one over the other?
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Re: QVR Pro Cam Setup: ONVIF Vs Specific Model?

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Not all ONVIF cameras generate motion detection events, for example.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
tecrp7
Starting out

Post by tecrp7 »

I recently bought a couple of the Lorex 4k cameras. These are not on the supported list for QNAP; however, I am able to use the ONVIF ProfileS Camera settings. The problem when using the ONVIF profile is that QNAP doesn't officially talk to the camera. I found out after days of messing with my setup that I had to mirror the settings on the camera and the QNAP in order for the QNAP to connect to my camera. This includes trying to find the same level of "video quality" on both the camera and QNAP. Now that I have figured that part out, I am able to utilize most of the features of the camera. My next round of testing is going to be testing the ROI capabilities. I have to configure this on the camera as well.

Now, from my research, using the profile for your model camera allows the QNAP to control the camera settings without having to login to your cameras web interface.

I'm hoping that QNAP will add support for the Lorex brand of cameras. I have submitted a request but I ahve also submitted a request many months ago for a certain Panasonic camera and I never heard anything and it still sin't support. I don't have too much faith in QNAP providing support via the "request" feature.
TVS-882
HHD - 6 - 6TB Western Digital Red Pro's RAID 6
SSD - 2 - Samsung 850 EVO's RAID 1 - Qtier 2 - Samsung 850 PRO's RAID 1 - OS/Apps 2 - Samsung 960 PRO's RAID 0 - VM's (QM2-2P Expansion Card)
CPU - Upgraded to i7 6700k from i3
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan) 6GB GDDR5
3 - 80mm 3 - 60mm Noctua Fans 1 - NH-L12S Noctua CPU Cooler
RAM - Kingston Technology HyperX FURY 32 GB Kit + Stock 8 GB DDR4
PSU - Corsair SF600 Power Supply

Water Cooled CPU - Hydro Series™ H5 SF
tgdc1978
First post

Post by tgdc1978 »

I’ve heard that many Loren cameras are rebranded Hikvision. I’m not sure if they change the software but would like to know if the Hivikison profiles work either them. (I was thinking of buying some). Can somebody test?
xman1
Know my way around

Post by xman1 »

I can't get ONVIF to work. Works fine after selecting the specific model of camera, in this case Amcrest IP4M-1026(E). Not thinking ONVIF is that reliable.
spillins
New here

Post by spillins »

tecrp7 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 am I recently bought a couple of the Lorex 4k cameras. These are not on the supported list for QNAP; however, I am able to use the ONVIF ProfileS Camera settings. The problem when using the ONVIF profile is that QNAP doesn't officially talk to the camera. I found out after days of messing with my setup that I had to mirror the settings on the camera and the QNAP in order for the QNAP to connect to my camera. This includes trying to find the same level of "video quality" on both the camera and QNAP. Now that I have figured that part out, I am able to utilize most of the features of the camera. My next round of testing is going to be testing the ROI capabilities. I have to configure this on the camera as well.

Now, from my research, using the profile for your model camera allows the QNAP to control the camera settings without having to login to your cameras web interface.

I'm hoping that QNAP will add support for the Lorex brand of cameras. I have submitted a request but I ahve also submitted a request many months ago for a certain Panasonic camera and I never heard anything and it still sin't support. I don't have too much faith in QNAP providing support via the "request" feature.
Hello,
Could you please share what those settings were for Lorex 4k cameras? I recently purchased Costco 4K Lorex security set with 6 cameras and am trying to setup the Qnap as a backup to the nvr that came with it. I'm attempting to set the camera's as ONVIF and it doesn't seem to connect to them. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
rbunge
New here

Post by rbunge »

I am also looking for LOrex settings to use with the Qnap although I was trying to use survellience station (don't know the difference but will research) I have added a camera to a POE switch outside the NVR figuring I would have to address it by specific IP address rather than the IP of the NVR. Would also like to get Onvif working so it can stream to a roku box for live view.
tecrp7
Starting out

Post by tecrp7 »

spillins wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 am
tecrp7 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 am I recently bought a couple of the Lorex 4k cameras. These are not on the supported list for QNAP; however, I am able to use the ONVIF ProfileS Camera settings. The problem when using the ONVIF profile is that QNAP doesn't officially talk to the camera. I found out after days of messing with my setup that I had to mirror the settings on the camera and the QNAP in order for the QNAP to connect to my camera. This includes trying to find the same level of "video quality" on both the camera and QNAP. Now that I have figured that part out, I am able to utilize most of the features of the camera. My next round of testing is going to be testing the ROI capabilities. I have to configure this on the camera as well.

Hello,
Could you please share what those settings were for Lorex 4k cameras? I recently purchased Costco 4K Lorex security set with 6 cameras and am trying to setup the Qnap as a backup to the nvr that came with it. I'm attempting to set the camera's as ONVIF and it doesn't seem to connect to them. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Sorry for such a really late reply. I don't get emails when someone quotes me for some reason.

To answer your question, when using the ONVIF profile in QVR Pro, the NAS will not be able to automatically change settings on the camera. What you have to do, is match the settings on the camera and the profile on the NAS in order for it to recognise the camera. This is a tedious task because even the bitrate can have an affect on it. Once you finally match the settings, then everything will work fine besides changing configs via the NAS.
TVS-882
SSD - 2 - Samsung 850 EVO's RAID 1 - Qtier 2 - Samsung 850 PRO's RAID 1 - OS/Apps 2 - Samsung 960 PRO's RAID 0 - VM's (QM2-2P Expansion Card)

tommyhartantow
New here

Post by tommyhartantow »

tecrp7 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Hello,
Sorry for such a really late reply. I don't get emails when someone quotes me for some reason.

To answer your question, when using the ONVIF profile in QVR Pro, the NAS will not be able to automatically change settings on the camera. What you have to do, is match the settings on the camera and the profile on the NAS in order for it to recognise the camera. This is a tedious task because even the bitrate can have an affect on it. Once you finally match the settings, then everything will work fine besides changing configs via the NAS.

the change is done on the IP camera? my camera is coming from unknown chinese manufacturers which i am not sure the setting can be changed. please advise, can the change be done on the qvr pro side to match the setting on the IP camera ? thx
tecrp7
Starting out

Post by tecrp7 »

tommyhartantow wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:35 am
tecrp7 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Hello,

the change is done on the IP camera? my camera is coming from unknown chinese manufacturers which i am not sure the setting can be changed. please advise, can the change be done on the qvr pro side to match the setting on the IP camera ? thx
I really need to figure out how to receive emails when quoted.

You should already have your camera's and may already have figured it out; however, I will answer for future search results...

Essentially, my last post before this response still stands in this situation. If the ONVIF profile is needed due to QNAP not having your model listed in their compatibility list, you will need to match the settings in the camera and on QVR Pro. Like I said, it is very tedious, especially if some of the setting in the camera require a camera reboot.

I don't buy generic off brand equipment so I can't state whether that you will be able to modify the settings directly on the camera or not.

I don't want to assume that anybody reading these forums knows enough about networking and how to connect to their devices so I will state it quick and simple. Find the IP address of your device (log into your router and figure out which device is your camera to find the IP address), and navigate to that IP Address via a web browser. If you can connect directly to your device, you should be greeted with a login window. Most default username/passwords are admin/admin or admin/password. You will have to figure that out either by trying these defaults or using Google to find it.
TVS-882

DiMora
Starting out

Post by DiMora »

I picked up a Reolink RLC-810A (It's their latest & greatest) and I figured I'd give it a shot with ONVIF since it is not (yet?) in the QNAP supported list of cameras.

As this threadrecommends, I was careful to "match" everything, but the problem is you cannot match the bitrate of the camera (Kbps) to the QVR Pro stream settings because QVR does NOT use bitrates, it uses "quality" which ranges from 1-6. Does anybody know what "quality" equates to a given bitrate?

If you pick a camera brand and model then you do indeed see bitrates, but for ONVIF you are stuck with "quality". Any ideas?

Return to “Surveillance Solution”