Does firmware have to be identical on all drives?

Discuss and share your Seagate drive experience
DIY_glenn
Getting the hang of things

Does firmware have to be identical on all drives?

Post by DIY_glenn »

Hi!

I'm about to set up my QNAP TS-453Be, but unfortunately discovered that one of my two Seagate ST4000VN000 pulled from my Windows Server (approx 2.5 years old) has a S.M.A.R.T error (End-to-End_error). The drive will be replaced by Seagate, with me having to cover shipping and any VAT/fees involved.
I believe both drives have firmware "SC60" if I remember correctly.

I now got hold of two old-stock ST4000VN000 for a very low price. Both are new in box, but one has SC43 firmware and the other SC44 (there's one year between them).
How big of a deal is this? Should firmware be identical? From SC43 to SC44 it's probably minor changes, but I mean from SC43 to SC60...?
I'll probably only use two drives, and since the replacement from Seagate also will be a used one, it's tempting to switch both drives for the two new ones.

I couldn't find a way to update the firmware, so what do I do now? I sent an email to Seagate if they are compatible, or if it is possible to get a firmware update for it.
What do I do? I'd like to get started, but I also want to avoid having to re-initialize the RAID.

I'm going for RAID0 (4+4TB) as my backup solution is more than good enough, and the data isn't crucial, so I'll try without redundancy this time around (until I can care to purchase 2x8+TB drives).
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Does firmware have to be identical on all drives?

Post by dolbyman »

unless the firmware fixed a critical bug it does not matter .. you can mix different vendors without an issue so firmware certainly doesn't matter

on RAID0 a singe *blip* on one drive and you have to start over anyways , so as long as you are ok with the risk and rebuild times .. all good
DIY_glenn

Post by DIY_glenn »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 am unless the firmware fixed a critical bug it does not matter .. you can mix different vendors without an issue so firmware certainly doesn't matter

on RAID0 a singe *blip* on one drive and you have to start over anyways , so as long as you are ok with the risk and rebuild times .. all good
Thanks! I guess their drives is a constant work-in-progress, so probably not a big difference between the two.
Heh, how much of a "blip" are we talking about?
The data is backed up locally and through cloud storage, so I'm not afraid to lose anything, but yes - I do understand the risks (and somewhat stupidity) of using RAID0.

I suspect there are some larger differences between the SC43/SC44 and the SC60 drives I have, I'll have to check. The latter probably has a slightly different product code.
DIY_glenn

Post by DIY_glenn »

So I’ve gone ahead and set up my RAID.
I was considering RAID5 with the SC43 and SC44 drive + a SC60 drive. The latter had a slightly different product number (still ST4000VN000) so it might be “very” different from the first ones.
I’d like to do it, as I only add one drive, but get redundancy.
Although resyncing after failure typically takes a lot of time IMHO, and I’ve experienced a second drive failing only 1 hour after a full recovery.

The next option is RAID10 (if possible) but I’d be doubling the amount of drives for same storage and performance.

I trust these two unused drives more than mixing in a newer one that’s already been spinning for 2.5 years, and the one that’s going to be replaced by Seagate for a refurbished one.

All in all, redundancy is never backup, and I have a good backup solution.

I also like the possibility to add a SSD for containers/VMs and a separate 4TB for Time Machine backup.

Btw, is QNAP system data mirrored over all the drives?
Even if my RAID and time machine drive fails, it’s still on the SSD?

Return to “Seagate Drive Discussion”