Poor NAS to NAS backup speed

Discussion on remote replication.
gcjh01
New here

Poor NAS to NAS backup speed

Post by gcjh01 »

I have multiple TS859u+ in 3 datacenters. Whenever I do a NAS to NAS backup the average speed is < 2 MB/s. It doesn't matter if it's NAS-NAS in the same datacenter on the same switch or across the 1 GB private backbone between the centers. Yet if I download a file from the NAS across the backbone I get speeds of +/- 600 MB /s. The CPU and RAM usage is under 40% during NAS to NAS and network is under 30 MB. Drives are all SSD.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary
P3R
Guru

Re: Poor NAS to NAS backup speed

Post by P3R »

What QTS firmware?
What backup application?
What protocol?
What settings are used in the backup job?
Have it always been this way or did it get worse?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
gcjh01
New here

Post by gcjh01 »

Thanks for the reply.

Firmware is 4.2.6
Using Backup Station
Selecting NAS to NAS
Only options selected are "Only copy files that differ" and "Handle sparse files efficiently"

For a point of reference, I ran a 207GB NAS to NAS in same datacenter on same switch and it took 34 hours.

Gary
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

I would try RTRR instead of NAS-to-NAS. It's usually faster on gigabit media, especially with an old CPU like the Atom in a TS-X59. But don't enable the Check file contents option in RTRR as that will slow things down considerably.

You need to enable the RTRR server of course in the receiving unit(s).

I wouldn't recommend that you change as we don't know what your issue is yet but you should be aware that the Hybrid Backup Sync app have now replaced Backup Station as the recommended Qnap backup solution.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

gcjh01 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 am Thanks for the reply.

Firmware is 4.2.6
Using Backup Station
Selecting NAS to NAS
Only options selected are "Only copy files that differ" and "Handle sparse files efficiently"

For a point of reference, I ran a 207GB NAS to NAS in same datacenter on same switch and it took 34 hours.

Gary
Backup Station?

It's deprecated, people are using HBS now.

Try Hybrid Backup Sync and RTRR?
Schwefelbruder
First post

Post by Schwefelbruder »

I found the SSL encryption slowed the performance.
I use HBS (Hybrid Backup Sync) at home between TS419P+ and TS431X using 1Gb ports on the same switch.
RTRR sync speed was ~2MB with SSL enabled in the profile.
Especially the old TS419P+ run at 99% CPU with encryption enabled.
After disabling SSL the RTRR sync speed is ~50MB/s (still limited by TS419P+ running at 70% CPU load).

Hope this may help others with the sync speed issue.
Stefan

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”