Basic reset wont reset admin password

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
omeryilmaz
Starting out

Re: Basic reset wont reset admin password

Post by omeryilmaz »

OneCD wrote:Well, if you'll answer my questions, I can try to answer yours. ;)
Sorry :( it was the image 3 above. Nothing happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

omeryilmaz wrote:Sorry :( it was the image 3 above. Nothing happened.
No, I'm sorry - I missed that. ;)

If you've performed a basic system reset (hold for 3 seconds), and still had no success logging in, I'd try this (written by the late Patrick Wilson):
pwilson wrote:
  1. Power off your NAS
  2. Eject all drives. (Do not remove them, just eject them by 1" (3cm) so they are no longer connected to the SATA Bus).
  3. Turn on the NAS. (You'll hear a short "beep")
  4. After 2-3 minutes, a long beep will be heard, and the NAS can be "found" via QNAP QFinder
  5. Hot-plug all HDDs into the NAS (Do not power off the NAS. Do not follow the Quick Setup prompts)
  6. Access your NAS via SSH (using PuTTY) (Note: it's IP address may have changed, use QNAP QFinder if necessary to determine it's IP address)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
omeryilmaz
Starting out

Post by omeryilmaz »

omeryilmaz wrote:The lcd panel is showing "mount volume, please wait"
How long does it take maximum? Do you have any idea about it?
Bu it look it is still mounting, am i going to that now? Or should i wait, how long?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Mounting only takes a minute or two. So, if it still says that it's mounting after after all this time, ignore it and power off the NAS. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I will be unavailable for the next few hours as I have to sleep some time. But I think the other regular members are up and about now, so hopefully, they can help out.

Good luck, and I hope you'll have some good news by morning. :geek:

omeryilmaz
Starting out

Post by omeryilmaz »

Ok, I've done it. Now I'm in putty in NAS.
These are putty, ftp and browser screenshots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

omeryilmaz wrote:Ok, I've done it. Now I'm in putty in NAS.
Great! Let's see how your array looks now.

So, run this one again:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/mdstat
and this one too:

lsblk

CylonCenturion

Post by CylonCenturion »

P3R wrote:
CylonCenturion wrote:...and he/she does not quotes us.
Selective quoting is useful to avoid misunderstandings. Constant full-quoting (especially of long posts) is lazy, annoying and makes threads harder to read.
oke, thanks
omeryilmaz
Starting out

Post by omeryilmaz »

Here it is
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Can you try:

fdisk -l

jambos
New here

Post by jambos »

pwilson wrote:
jasonbox wrote:
pwilson wrote:
jasonbox wrote:Hi Patrick/schumaku, I'm not sure about the others here but the problem I'm having relates purely to the admin password. I was able to access the Web UI login screen and all apps that I use in the background were still working (accessible through IP address and port number) however, putting in the same password that I always use to access the QTS desktop yielded an "incorrect password" or words to that effect.
So does User="admin", Password="admin" not work either?
No, the admin/admin combo doesn't work either after the basic reset.
Resolution is still possible, but it will be more complicated than we had originally hoped. We'll need to resolve this via SSH, so the next challenge for you will be to install PuTTY (a freely availalbe SSH/Telnet client) on your Windows box. Please download PuTTY, and install it on your Windows box.

Proceed as follows:
  1. Turn off your NAS
  2. Disconnect both drives.
  4. After 2-3 minutes, a long beep will be heard, and the NAS can be seen in QNAP Finder
  5. Hot-plug both HDDs into the NAS (Do not power off the NAS. Do not follow the quick setup)
    (HDD1 is at the bottom, and connects directly to the motherboard. HDD2 is above HDD1, and connects via cables)
  6. Access your NAS via SSH (using PuTTY) (Note: it's IP address may have changed, use QNAP Finder if necessary to determine it's IP address)
  7. Execute the following commands on the NAS:

config_util 1
    storage_boot_init 1
    mv /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/passwd /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/passwd.OLD
    cp /etc/default_config/passwd /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/passwd
    cp /etc/default_config/shadow /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/shadow
    cp /etc/default_config/group /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/group
    sleep 2
    reboot

8. Wait for NAS to reboot
At this point you should be able to access the NAS Admin WebUI, with "admin"/"admin". If successful, shutdown the NAS again, and screw the drives in properly, check all connections, and then re-assemble the NAS. Upon startup again, you should still be able to access the NAS with "admin"/"admin"
Hi, i have been having similar problems regarding logging in after resetting. I copied this procedure but came up with this.

temcocontrols2
New here

Post by temcocontrols2 »

Same troubles here, did the three second reset. Set the IP address back to usual. Reloaded the backup config file and still no go. Can log in under my own account, see all the shares, users and so on but cannot sign in with admin/admin. Qnap 509 pro with 4.2.4
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Easbkerp wrote:After you reset admin password , you may have a lot of problems
Well, if you don't change the now default admin password in time probably yes. What else?
Lopitos
New here

Post by Lopitos »

pwilson wrote:
baffin wrote:
pwilson wrote:
Did you boot without drives? :roll:
yes, followed all steps as follows, step 1 to 6 are all successful, but not step 7. :(

1. Turn off your NAS
2. Disconnect both drives.
4. After 2-3 minutes, a long beep will be heard, and the NAS can be seen in QNAP Finder
5. Hot-plug HDDs into the NAS (Do not power off the NAS. Do not follow the quick setup)
6. Access your NAS via SSH (using PuTTY) (Note: it's IP address may have changed, use QNAP Finder if necessary to determine it's IP address)
7. Execute the commands on the NAS
Your NAS would be the first system that I am aware of where this did not work. Please submit a ticket with the QNAP Helpdesk. Please provide a URL to this thread in your ticket request.
Hi have a similar issue. Lost admin / administrator access (not software issue - it was a my mistake). I had in my active administrator user "2 step login" with google authenticator. My phone reset and i had no keys. And the email (don't know why yet) was not working. :evil:

3 seconds reset switch didn't work. :S
Then i read several times this tread (very good and thanks to all).

After using the procedure that Patrick M. Wilson (Thanks a lot :DD ) teach i have the same problem above. In updated Helpdesk Knowledgebase you can see that for new NAS system instead of use code:

config_util 1
storage_boot_init 1
You shoud use:

storage_util --sys_startup
After that i run all commands and reset my users/groups. All them (users and groups) were gone.
So i did what Patrick told to and replace the files in /etc/config.
After that i temporarily disable "2 step authentication" for my active admin with web admin before exiting user admin.

Now all back again and working.

What i learned:
- need to store google authenticator key for emergencies like phone reset.
- using SSH with my NAS (never used before).

My NAS configuration:
TS-251A
1 X 3TB WD RED
Firmware: 4.3.3.0299

Thanks all you that help me restoring all.

Regards
Lopitos.
NAS: TS-251A 4GB RAM + 1X 3TB WD RED
vleeshhd
First post

Post by vleeshhd »

I managed to do the reset using the SSH method (https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Kn ... ot-working) but then could still not login using the browser.
Turns out that Bitdefender was blocking it!
https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/how-to/knowl ... t-can-i-do

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”