"Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Re: "Disk Failed", then "Disk Unplugged" errors

Post by Flotsch123 »

Thisisnotmyname wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am
compusger wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:44 am Well, what is your problem with that ?
I think its a valid point that those long RMA turnarounds are simply unacceptable !
And it might give other, potential buyers a valid headsup of what might come up in the future...

I guess it's just general forum etiquette not to spam multiple threads with the same information.

As to helping other users, all we know is that an RMA through his reseller (did he say who it was?) in his country can take a long time. We have no idea how long QNAP has had it (versus sitting with the reseller or riding on a ship across an ocean or sitting in a warehouse waiting to for a truck to pick it up etc...) or if the length of time they had it is typical given they had availability issues for that line of products to begin with.

I have no problem with him providing all those data and more but spamming it in multiple threads just isn't necessary.
just to make this clear:
i posted my problem in this thread and i opened another thread where i am asking what the normal turnaround time for RMA is! far away from "spamming all over the forum" as you say.
Let us wait until YOU are in my situation, waitung 8 weeks for a core element of your network, that had costed you around 1500 bucks. i wonder if you have still your sense of humour then.

and to answer your questions:
i brought the device to the reseller on december 4zh. the reseller shipped it to Qnap the very next day. Let`s say the shipment to Qnap was unuasally long, let`s say 2 weeks (i bet tha tthis was not the case): there are still 6 weeks left, where Qnap could have handled my case.
I was patient for 6 weeks, but my patience has come to and end now. I am sorry tha ti am not such a relaxed and funny guy as you.

and my reseller was e-tec.at - an official QNap partner in austria/europe!!!!!!!!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Flotsch123, I quite understand your annoyance, the turnaround times are unacceptable.
But I can assure you, the reseller and distributor network do not sit on boxes delaying the RMA process. Not in my experience.
The returns issue is mostly a Qnap one. The returns teams are simply under resourced.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

Flotsch123 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:58 pm
just to make this clear:
i posted my problem in this thread and i opened another thread where i am asking what the normal turnaround time for RMA is! far away from "spamming all over the forum" as you say.
Let us wait until YOU are in my situation, waitung 8 weeks for a core element of your network, that had costed you around 1500 bucks. i wonder if you have still your sense of humour then.

and to answer your questions:
i brought the device to the reseller on december 4zh. the reseller shipped it to Qnap the very next day. Let`s say the shipment to Qnap was unuasally long, let`s say 2 weeks (i bet tha tthis was not the case): there are still 6 weeks left, where Qnap could have handled my case.
I was patient for 6 weeks, but my patience has come to and end now. I am sorry tha ti am not such a relaxed and funny guy as you.

and my reseller was e-tec.at - an official QNap partner in austria/europe!!!!!!!!

Two posts on the same day to different threads saying the same thing. But whatever.

We all have different perspectives. I don't see $1500 as a significant infrastructure investment. Even on storage systems that I've invested well into six figures on I still invest further in redundancy and I specifically purchase service contracts on them with SLA. I would never make a $1500 SAN a mission critical part of any solution.

In any case you've been eight weeks production down now so I'm sure you've been calling QNAP every day for updates. What did they say about when they received it? What have they given as the explanation of what the delay is? What have they stated as the ETA for completion? Surely you wouldn't get off the phone without these details right?

And sure, I'm relaxed, I don't think I'm funny though.
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

my reseller is responsible for the RMA (as i had to bring the device to him adnd he sent it to qnap). so i had no phone calls, with qnap. qnp also closed the ticket on this case although i emailed them 2 times to keep it open. i am no table to answer to this ticket anymore, so i guess it was closed.
i contacted the reseller after 6 weeks, just to hear that qnap is still in physical possession of my device.
trust me, i am not the guy that starts stressing people after 1 week waiting. i waited 6 weeks patiently and then i started to get nervous.
in the meantime, i was contacted via this forum by a qnap guy who asked for ticket id and passed it to their rma chief. i have not heard anything more yet, but maybe this guy can speed up the process.
my next fear is that i get a refurbished device (and not mine. i cared about this device like an raw egg, no scratch) that is worn.

i will contact the reseller again next week asking for a replacement device or money back.
sorry for spaming, but i am just extremely dissapointed and angry after such a long time.

and one thing i also wanted to say:
i have at home 2 qnap nas devices, 2 qnap extension units, original qnap ram and additional original qnap pcie cards, in my company i also use qnap devices. so qnap made already a few thousand dollars cash with me. therefore i just expected a little more "commitment".
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

I get it, it's frustrating. Even though you went through a reseller I'd still call QNAP direct. I've called them multiple times on tech issues and they've always picked up the phone. Might help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

@flotsch ..how were you contacted?
pm were disabled in this forum years ago
Flotsch123
Know my way around

Post by Flotsch123 »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 pm @flotsch ..how were you contacted?
pm were disabled in this forum years ago
i got an email.
but no further reaction until now, he just told that my case is forwarded to rma chief.
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

Count me in as well. I have a 451A with 4x3TB WD Reds. Short story....I had a problem updating firmware. I don't know what version but somehow it failed to reboot. I kept getting message every time I logged in saying there was a firmware update. When I would command my system to shutdown and install it, the system never actually shutdown, I thought it did. I lived with this problem for several months. I guess I should have went downstairs to check. I only noticed after I opened a trouble ticket with a QNAP that the system had been running for more than 6 months without a reboot. The only reason I pursued it was because my #3 HD had disconnected a couple of times. I was unable to see SMART data on any of my drives and thought this could be related to the firmware update. I manual restarted my system and eventually installed firmware version 4.3.5.0760. I was now able to see SMART data on all drives as well as #3 when it was connected and run test that showed no issues. That was in November, since then I have had almost daily failures with HD #3 connecting. Sometimes after connecting it would rebuild and run for maybe 24 hours before disconnecting. Today after opening another trouble ticket with QNAP and having the tech run several test I was told I needed to run the WD Data Life test. I was informed by the tech that he could not issue a RMA for backplane (I did not mention this the tech did) until I had run the Data life test to verify the drive. I have about an hour and half left on that test. I am confident that it will pass and will email the results to the tech, and will be expecting a RMA to be sent. The QNAP is currently running without drive #3 as I make backups, it has been running like this for 2 months. So just another data point. But after reading 22 pages here, I'm seriously worried about the RMA process. I don't mind having my system down for a week or two. It only stores photos and runs Plex, which I can do without the NAS, but reading about 8 weeks and counting or getting a just as defective unit back. I'm inclined to ask about repairing myself if the power is the culprit here. I'm capable of soldering jumpers if that is a fix, and would take my chances. If I have to spend $50 to send it back, thats 10% of what it cost to buy, and could probably buy a used one (different company) for not much more.
ey96
New here

Post by ey96 »

Guys,

Guess what? I had the same problems and had been trying to solve it for the last 6 months. It was until yesterday when I deleted and removed my cache SSD (M.2), and it automatically rebuild my Disk 3. Now it's back to normal !!!!

I think the firmware updates affected the cache. Try doing the same if you have M.2 cache.
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

My drive passed the WD test. Now the Tech wants me to remove the memory and replace it with the original.
ey96
New here

Post by ey96 »

i use the 8gb kingston original and add 32 gb crucial. Total 40gb. No problem at all.
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

I don't remember what mine came with, I think it was 2GB. I upgraded to 8GB using two 4GB modules. At first I bought whatever was cheapest, that didn't work out so well. So I ended up getting whatever manufacture was the original, I think it was ADATA. The system ran fine for over 500 days.
Going back through this thread it's hard to believe possible backplane failure, given my symptoms, but QNAP is ready for me to send it in as soon as I verify it's not a memory issue.
#1. I'm using WD Reds.
#2. Although it had a hiccup on old firmware which lead me to upgrade firmware, it started doing it daily after upgrading firmware.
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

Replaced original memory, didn't even make it an hour into the rebuild. Wondering if QNAP is going to have me run some other test before allowing me to return it. I have version 1.0 backplane, wish I knew if I could just buy a newer version of this part. From comments on here doesn't sound like sending it off is going to be a pleasant experience.
elite76
New here

Post by elite76 »

Credit to QNAP. Despite being (just) out of warranty, I submitted my logs as per the ticket request, and was granted a replacement unit.

The TVS-873 is end of life, so they gave me a TVS-873E instead, with extra memory.

Cant complain!
Stew683
New here

Post by Stew683 »

Credit to QNAP, I still haven't gotten a RMA. I feel like I'm being strung along. Every emails ends with "if you can do this I will be able to process your RMA". The latest is "Could you double check the serial number you've provided? I think you're made a typo. I should be able to process this for RMA repair once I check the warranty status.". I feel like I'm so close, funny thing is I submitted the ticket and all the information that the unit provided them electronically. I never sent them a serial number. BTW...the serial number they sent me.....is the one on my machine.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”