ES1640DC v2 unsupported SSD

patrez
New here

ES1640DC v2 unsupported SSD

Post by patrez »

Is there any way how to use an SSD that is not listed here https://www.qnap.com/en-us/compatibilit ... category=1 ?

Our partner delivered to us 4 INTEL DC S4500 and we wanted to use them as read cache

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: ES1640DC v2 unsupported SSD

Post by dolbyman »

I only see (NL-)SAS drives certified for that unit ... so those SATA SSD drives might not work ...

try it
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

So you bought $6.5k box and want to mickey with unsupported drives. Really?
Qnap did toy with offering bridge boards for SATA drives at the beginning but decided against it in the end for simplicity.
Even though this box isn't active/active (where two port SAS drives would be needed), stick to the compat list.
zmaho
Starting out

Post by zmaho »

could some one explain to me .. if one SSD SATAIII work why would some other SSD SATAIII not work ?
i know the firmware can be the issue but SATA instrusction are same ? right ?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

zmaho wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:37 am could some one explain to me .. if one SSD SATAIII work why would some other SSD SATAIII not work ?
i know the firmware can be the issue but SATA instrusction are same ? right ?
SATA in itself most likely won't be a problem in a NAS supporting SATA but some disk firmwares tuned for power-saving and/or desktop usage have been awful in RAID/NAS applications. Also some disk technologies doesn't work well in file servers so having a compatibility list is very relevant. The disks that doesn't work well in a NAS that I know of are all mechanically spinning disks but I'm sure it's possible to make a SSD firmware not working well in a NAS also.

Also this thread is about using unsupported (although probably nice enterprise disks) in a very expensive enterprise chassis. Is it really worth the risk of using unsupported equipment in such a high-end system?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
zmaho
Starting out

Post by zmaho »

yes there is ... 1.9TB SSD enterpise is like 2x or more then a price of normal SAMSUNG PRO 860 .... on MIX500 its like 3X .. just saying ...
and yes i know wear and tear, and yes i know about working hour .. BUT ... in 2 year, and that SSD gonna hold that year ....,the will go down then it will
low cost to replace them all ... but the main device is there... :) for years .. with 40Gbit dual NIC..
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

zmaho wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 am yes there is ... 1.9TB SSD enterpise is like 2x or more then a price of normal SAMSUNG PRO 860 ....
In this case the disk that the OP asked about using WAS an enterprise disk at least 2x more expensive than a Samsung 860 Pro. So it was expensive AND not listed as compatible...
and yes i know wear and tear, and yes i know about working hour .. BUT ... in 2 year, and that SSD gonna hold that year ....,the will go down then it will
low cost to replace them all ...
In my experience hardware is not the main cost in TCO. Not having support from the manufacturer could be costly in the end I would think...
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
zmaho
Starting out

Post by zmaho »

in company we have 2x1232, 3x1232, 2x431XeU, ... so yes we know what having zero response from manufacturer is ...

Return to “QES Operating System (QNAP Enterprise Storage OS)”