Feedback request - TS-1273U build for ESXi 6.5 + NFS

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
tenbulls
First post

Feedback request - TS-1273U build for ESXi 6.5 + NFS

Post by tenbulls »

I'm writing to seek a sanity check on this build and configuration. I have a fairly serious home lab that I need some shared storage for. Maybe a dozen guests doing light duty, ramping up to ~40 guests or so for a networking cert lab. 2xHP DL360s with 4x1G each, moving to 10G later. No large bulk file transfers, no media services, no on-box virtualization - I just need a stable NAS to run NFS for ESX. My basic requirements are: rack mount, dual PSU, 8 or 12 bays, 4x1G + 2x10G, PCI expansion, and M.2 cache slots.

Looking at TS-1273U-RP-8G, and will do 4x1G LACP with 4xWD RED 2T in RAID10 to start. Would be NFS4. Going with these lower end drives because I am blowing my budget on the chassis (need 8 or 12 bays) and like the ability to ramp into more drives later. Also want to keep this thing quiet.

Specific questions
* Thoughts on risk around this brand new chassis? For this investment, was hoping to buy something at the beginning of a refresh / release cycle so I'm not behind.
* I've removed the M.2 SATA SSD caches from my build plan because it seems like this feature isn't going to provide significant benefit for me now, and/or this feature is broken in some ways (see viewtopic.php?f=25&t=124852). Sound accurate?
* This unit is not on the VMware HCL. Not super concerned, but should I be?
* Any other input / feedback welcome
plasticsteak1
New here

Re: Feedback request - TS-1273U build for ESXi 6.5 + NFS

Post by plasticsteak1 »

I know this is an old thread but how did this lab build end up for you? I'm looking to use my HP DL360 with NAS storage for HyperV VMs and could use some feedback.
-TBone
TS-453 Pro
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

kelv1n
Starting out

Post by kelv1n »

@dolbyman - What has a feature matrix got to do with the question? Unless it contains full deployment documentation concerning their scenarios, all you've added is spam!

To OP, I'd be very interested to understand how you got on :)
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

5 posts in and accusing me of spam .. riiight

my post was a reply to the second poster that dug out the thread after 2 years to ask what NAS storage supports HyperV hardware features

Asking the OP (with only 1 post) 2 years after the initial question ... that is some next level exercise in futility

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”