VPN routing and DHCP setup

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
AlexDrum
New here

VPN routing and DHCP setup

Post by AlexDrum »

Hi There,

I've successfully setup a VPN client on my TS-453Be and am happy that it is working well and all internet traffic is going via the VPN. I chose the option to make it the NAS Default gateway and can route all my other devices via it to the VPN. However, to do this i need to manually configure each device to use the NAS as the default gateway instead of my ISP router. What i would like to do is setup a DHCP server to provide IP addresses and the NAS default gateway to any device that connects to the network. This is not possible on the ISP router as it will only allow itself to be the default gateway.

The problem is, that when I setup the VPN connection as a default gateway for the NAS i got an error message saying that the NAS IP address could not be static. I got around this by reserving the IP address on the router so the NAS will always get the same IP but is not configured with a static IP. However, now when i try to setup the DHCP server i get an error that the NAS must have a static IP address for the DHCP server to work.

Is there a solution for this, or do i have to manually configure all devices to use the NAS as the default gateway?

Thanks,

Alex
dolbyman
Guru

Re: VPN routing and DHCP setup

Post by dolbyman »

disable the router dhcp server and give the nas a static ip ..then use the nas bultin dhcp ..
AlexDrum
New here

Post by AlexDrum »

Hi dolbyman,

Thanks for the suggestion, but i can't set the NAS to have a static IP as the QVPN software says it must NOT be static when setting the VPN profile as the default gateway.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

sorry .. can't help more .. I sue my ASUS 86U as a VPN client and server .. a much better device than the QNAP (for routing and VPN)

Return to “Miscellaneous”