A server could not be found with wifi usb adapter

Plex allows you to aggregate all your personal media and access it anywhere you go. Enjoy your own media on all your devices with the Plex Media Server.
bing11
Starting out

A server could not be found with wifi usb adapter

Post by bing11 »

hello
I use TS-451A with wifi usb adapter

I try go to Plex Media Server but show me a server could not be found.
WeChat Image_20190212160606.png
A server could not be found. Download and install Plex Media Server, and it will appear here.
WeChat Image_20190212160559.png
I can use Plex Media player on any computer without any problem.

I use wire net no this problem .

only happen I use wifi usb adapter

please help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: A server could not be found with wifi usb adapter

Post by dolbyman »

why not just wire the NAS into the wifi router ?

this way you don't have service binding and other networking issues
bing11
Starting out

Post by bing11 »

the NAS is working fine with wifi now .

only I can't find server run Plex Media Server in nas.

But I still can use plex media player see the files inside .
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as I said, probably the wifi IP does not have a service binding for the plex server
bing11
Starting out

Post by bing11 »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:50 am as I said, probably the wifi IP does not have a service binding for the plex server
how can fix this ? please help me
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

If the NAS has a wired connection why would you want to us a WiFi adapter on it?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
bing11
Starting out

Post by bing11 »

for some reason . please help
thank you
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

WiFi directly on the NAS is a bad idea. It's painful and even if you get it to work, it's slow and unreliable.

I don't think anybody here use it so probably nobody in the forum can help you. Please contact Qnap support. Qnap implemented it so they have to try and support it.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Gorole
New here

Post by Gorole »

Why not if i use 5Ghz 1300Mbps? :-)
I know, it theoretical limit.
But why not?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Gorole wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am Why not if i use 5Ghz 1300Mbps?
I know, it theoretical limit.
Yes, it's probably more like 500-600 Mbps and that's on a good day. Cabled networking is a steady 1000 Mbps and in Qnap SMB models 10000 Mbps is now becoming the new standard.

But that WiFi is so slow isn't even the worst thing about it.
  • All WiFi can be eavesdropped.
  • WiFi is very much affected by things that you can't control so it's inherently unpredictable and unreliable.
  • 5 GHz is better than 2.4 GHz but it will progressively become more crowded as well for us that have neighbours.
  • WiFi is much more complicated to troubleshoot than cabled networking.
  • USB adapters frequently have their chipset changed by the manufacturer so suddenly an adapter on the compatibility list may not work any more.
  • Very few advanced users use it on Qnaps so the assistance with it provided by this community forum is virtually non-existant.
WiFi is great for portable stuff like phones, tables, notebooks and small laptops but particularly for servers, it's a bad idea.

If cabling is an issue it's much better to relocate the NAS closer to the cabled network equipment and for the most challenging environments even power-line networking (with all it's limitations) is often a better choice than WiFi.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Wi-Fi is also half duplex. As already recommended either switch to wired or contact QNAP for Assistance.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
iam@nas
Easy as a breeze

Post by iam@nas »

Can you access the admin UI and the other services over wifi?
I don't know about Plex but it could be bound to your wired network card and not to 0.0.0.0:xxx.

Return to “Plex Media Server”