Mapped Drives disconnect over time when using Group Policy

Questions about using Windows AD service.
Synergem
New here

Mapped Drives disconnect over time when using Group Policy

Post by Synergem »

After updating firmware on my TVS-871U NAS, my Windows users lose connection to mapped drives after an extended period. The problem is typically seen in the morning when the users try to connect to the shares and they are not able to. The ONLY way I have been able to get the connection back is to reboot their computers. The mapping is done via Windows Server group policies and issuing a gpupdate command cannot re-establish the connection. DNS settings are correct and I even tried mapping using the IP address, but the problem remains.

The kicker: If I map the shares on a computer manually via file explorer, however, the connection does not become lost and all seems well.

QNAP Tech Support was unable to resolve the issue stating that it must be a Windows Client problem, since manually mapping works. The problem, however, only started after updating the firmware on the NAS. My environment is using Windows Server 2018 and Windows 10 Pro clients. The NAS is currently on firmware 4.3.6.0805. I have set the max SMB version to 3, as suggested by QNAP tech, but problem remains. I do not wish to go around mapping all my users manually. It is also very frustrating since after each try, I need to wait until the next day to see if the changes worked. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Mapped Drives disconnect over time when using Group Policy

Post by dolbyman »

was just mentioning it this morning
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=146867#p706043

Check this solution approach
http://eddiejackson.net/wp/?p=16319
Synergem
New here

Post by Synergem »

Thanks for your solution approach suggestion. In my scenario, however, manually mapping or scripting seems to be my only temporary workaround as the share settings in my GP are already set to "Update." Please keep me posted if you find another way. Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

how about the

Code: Select all

net config server /autodisconnect:-1
part via startup script ?
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

When the PCs lose the mapping I assume they can still ping the NAS.
And at the command line does the NAS DNS resolve?
Points to a suspect SMB issue.

Out of interest does an FTP mapping get lost?

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”