Rsync does not display 'homes' directory on destination server

Discussion on remote replication.
rob101a
New here

Rsync does not display 'homes' directory on destination server

Post by rob101a »

I have 2 NAS on a local network, TVS-472XT and TS-228A.

I have set up rync to back up from TVS-472XT to TS-228A. Rsync is enabled with the administrator account on the TS-228A, and it connects fine using port 873 and encryption port 22 (sync local to remote using the local IP address of the TS-228A).

However, when I connect to set up the destination folder, 'homes' is not present on the TS-228A. Only 'Web' and 'Public'. I am using the default admin account to connect (full read/write privileges), and this is the first thing I have done after opening the TS-228A and setting it up.
rsync.PNG
I have checked that the homes directory is enabled for all users under control panel -> users:
unnamed.png
When I reverse the connection and connect from the TS-228A to the TVS-472XT, I can see the homes folder for the TVS-472XT no problem.

Could I be missing some settings on the TS-228A?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Re: Rsync does not display 'homes' directory on destination server

Post by P3R »

rob101a wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 pm I have set up rync to back up from TVS-472XT to TS-228A. Rsync is enabled with the administrator account on the TS-228A, and it connects fine using port 873 and encryption port 22 (sync local to remote using the local IP address of the TS-228A).
Using SSH on a secure network sound a bit like overkill even to me. If a bad guy have have a foot-hold in a device on your local network they're more likely to attack the Qnaps directly than sniff the network to try and extract data from that.

Also on local networks RTRR is usually the recommended protocol to use Qnap-to-Qnap. Why do you think Rsync is better?
However, when I connect to set up the destination folder, 'homes' is not present on the TS-228A. Only 'Web' and 'Public'. I am using the default admin account to connect (full read/write privileges), and this is the first thing I have done after opening the TS-228A and setting it up.
Have you verified that the Homes shared folder exist on the TS-228A?

Are both NASes using the same version of the Hybrid Backup Sync app?

I don't have the issue but I'm using different models so it could be a bug specific for the TS-228A.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
rob101a
New here

Post by rob101a »

Thanks P3R!
Using SSH on a secure network sound a bit like overkill even to me. If a bad guy have have a foot-hold in a device on your local network they're more likely to attack the Qnaps directly than sniff the network to try and extract data from that.
Basically I'm new to this and just assumed SSH was better. Unfortunately it doesn't change anything if I turn it off.
Also on local networks RTRR is usually the recommended protocol to use Qnap-to-Qnap. Why do you think Rsync is better?
Again, just starting out and the guide I followed suggested Rsync. I assumed either would work. RTRR does show the homes folder on the TS-228A, but I would still like to troubleshoot the root cause with Rsync.
Have you verified that the Homes shared folder exist on the TS-228A?
Yes, it's visible under FileStation5 and I can save files in it/connect via a mapped network drive, etc.
Are both NASes using the same version of the Hybrid Backup Sync app?
Yes, both versions of Hybrid Backup Sync are 2.1.190111. However the firmware is 4.4.0.0820 on the TVS-472XT and 4.3.6.0867 on the TS-228A. I don't appear to be able to upgrade the TS-228A any further as it says "Firmware up to date", I assume this is by design?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

rob101a wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:46 pm Again, just starting out and the guide I followed suggested Rsync. I assumed either would work. RTRR does show the homes folder on the TS-228A, but I would still like to troubleshoot the root cause with Rsync.
I would start with comparing the Shared folder permissions between the NASes but other than that the only idea I have is to ask Qnap support.

I would also stay on RTRR for your backups since it work around this issue but more importantly because, as I said, it have more features and generally is the recommended protocol on a fast network.
However the firmware is 4.4.0.0820 on the TVS-472XT and 4.3.6.0867 on the TS-228A. I don't appear to be able to upgrade the TS-228A any further as it says "Firmware up to date", I assume this is by design?
I think that the reason is that the TVS-X72XT models are a completely new design and that Qnap during development didn't bother to port QTS 4.3 to it but used the upcoming QTS 4.4 from the start. Then either the planned hardware release was done earlier than expected or the QTS 4.4 release was delayed. The result is that QTS 4.4 is currently released on the TVS-X72XT models but not on any of the older models (TS-228A is probably only a small hardware update from the predecessor TS-228 so they could build on the same firmware train). That a very new hardware is ahead of the older models in software versions isn't that uncommon.

If the different QTS-versions is causing the Rsync issue you noticed I don't know.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”